starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switching to back offs/3x3 and/or 1 on 2 off

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    marcf and others,

Wouldn't the change depend on the reason for stalling? For example, if one is stalling because they just don't have 'enough meat on the bones,' I'd think backoffs would be preferred to increase volume and the hypertrophic response (with minimal additional fatigue).

If it's just a matter of making progress, then certainly manipulating the variables as you stated may be a better idea.

Thoughts?
    The changes would be made to prevent stalling in the first place. Whether someone is skinny or muscular, programming changes to facilitate progress and prevent a stall is a better idea than resetting, especially multiple resets. Eventually, a novice is going to stall because the SRA cycle becomes longer than 48-72 hours. When a session becomes too grindy, with sleep/nutrition/etc. accounted for, it's probably smarter to do something different the next session (i.e. switch to advanced novice or HLM) than to carry on and miss reps.

If someone is too skinny, in your example, he or she isn't going to gain enough muscular bodyweight in a week to get back on track with LP. If they stall because their bodyweight is low, they would have to switch to some form of intermediate programming. And so on and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    For a 5'10" male weighing 185 pounds, the cause of a stall at 215 pounds vs. 315 pounds is probably going to be very different. Would you really want a 10% reset on someone squatting 315x5x3 and work their way back up making 5lb jumps?
    Sorry, I misread what you were saying. Disregard my statement.

For a 5'10" male weighing 185 pounds, the cause of a stall at 215 pounds vs. 315 pounds is probably going to be very different. Would you really want a 10% reset on someone squatting 315x5x3 and work their way back up making 5lb jumps?
    Sorry, I misread what you were saying. Disregard my statement.

starting strength coach development program
    I feel like the subject of resets are a little divisive, but after having done a few, I don't like them at all. I think modifying programming when you feel like you're about to stall is the better move so that you can keep progressing.
    I agree, but the true beginner can't do this alone. A new lifter doing SS for the first time w/o a coach doesn't know how close to a stall they are. They should run the program as-written up to a hard stall and reset a couple times, so they learn the difference between "hard" and "impossible".

Without a coach, their judgement about program-tweaking is pure shit. Speaking from personal experience here :-(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12