starting strength gym

Thread: Pressing but the floor keeps moving...

Default Pressing but the floor keeps moving...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Andy,

I'm running the PB program and loving the flexibility within the program. I'm on deployment on an aircraft carrier and although we don't roll around too much the ship moves sporadically enough to make me a bit weary of pressing. Today I was trying to hit 3 doubles of 185lb but nearly lost the weight. The motion of the ship definitely affects the other lifts but the press seems to suffer the most.

Should I simply stick with higher reps with lower weight? Or just eliminate the press and keep the accessory shoulder work while perhaps sub in a second bench day; Incline maybe?

Thanks!
    Mike

Mike,

I feel your pain. I've lifted on the Cleveland, the Tarawa, and the Pearl Harbor.

Do you have a smith machine?

Glad you can relate! Yes, there is a smith machine. It's not your traditional SM though. It moves freely vertically and horizontally on vertical rails. Unfortunately, I'M 6'3" so I can't press in the rack.

I was able to get by pressing on the smith machine from a seated position. I didn't use a seat with a back support though. Just sit on the end of a flat bench and get yourself completely under the bar and you can do a decent smith machine press. Not the same thing but better than 8+ feet of human and barbell tumbling across the floor of the gym. You might not be allowed back in! And if you are an officer that wouldn't be a good scene in front of the troops.

You can also do a decent front squat in the smith machine

This is, God forgive, the first time ever I see a practical way of use for this gains robbing atrocity.

The smith machine? Yeah, not a fan, but if you've ever tried to lift on a rocking boat it doesn't work. So you do what you can. Back Squats on a smith or terrible, but you can do a reasonable front squat on a smith machine if that is your only option.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Maties Hofstede View Post
    This is, God forgive, the first time ever I see a practical way of use for this gains robbing atrocity.
    When I first started lifting on the USS BLUE RIDGE I figured out that the plate storage on the back of the ships smith machine was the perfect height for makeshift squat rack! I did have to clear about 400lbs of weight of the back of the rack before I could squat but it worked. Pretty sure people thought I was crazy...I'm just happy this ship has a few bumper plates laying around so I can avoid the God forsaken hex plates for deadlifting!