starting strength gym

Thread: Another knee rehab question

Question Another knee rehab question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I had arthroscopic knee surgery to shave a torn lateral meniscus. Before Injury, I was running out TM at

29yo
    5'10" 230lbs
    Squat: 395x3x2
    Dead: 475x1
    Bench: 265x1x5 (still adding weight)
    OHP: 195x1x5 (progressing lower weight as seated press for a couple weeks)

My doctor advised me to wait about three more weeks before squatting, so I programmed the following. Does this seem reasonable?

Cooper's post-op squats - Google Sheets

I'll just tell you my experience, as it might be helpful. The only specific advise I will give is to start with low weight, increase slowly, and pay attention for pain and swelling. Try to start getting video of your squats from behind to make sure that you're not favoring the non-surgery leg (I had a problem with shifting my hips that took a lot of work to fix).

On October 25th of last year I had arthroscopic surgery to remove a calcified piece of cartilage and two screws from my tibia, these were as a result of a ten year old injury and surgery. My surgeon told me no squatting or deadlifting for four weeks. I waited a week after surgery for the incision over my tibia to heal enough that I felt comfortable to squat. After the first week I started squatting 3x5 with just the bar, three times a week, adding 20lbs the first few sessions, then 10lbs thereafter. My swelling reduced and ROM went back to normal after about two weeks of that. A a month or so after surgery, my surgeon cleared me to lift again, so I added deadlifts at what felt like a light weight (185lbs) and started progressing both lifts at 10lbs a session. Somewhere around a mid-200lbs. 3x5 squat I slowed to 5lbs. progressions, then eventually transitioned back into HLM, adding 5lbs a week. It took me about four months to get back to my previous weights. Now (five months out) I'm hitting PRs on squats again, and almost back to previous deadlift levels.