starting strength gym

Thread: HLM Medium Day Press For Highland Athletics?

Default HLM Medium Day Press For Highland Athletics?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Andy, hope you enjoyed your break!

I'm winding down on my LP and looking toward my intermediate stage since I'm biologically incapable of living for the moment instead of planning ahead. I'm registered for a Highland Games competition next month and that's what I'm wanting to focus my programming on once I make the transition to being an intermediate.

I had been planning on going with the basic HLM template laid out in PPST3 and tweaking things from there as needed. A reading of PPST3 would lead me to believe that the Push Press would be the ideal exercise for my medium day with my interests. However, I noticed here that you have a shot-putter incline benching on his medium day. You're probably getting ready to tell me that you're not a highland games guy, but obviously there's a fair amount of overlap between the shot-put and the stone-put if nothing else. Added to this, it seems that Rip considers the Push Press to be more of an assistance to the jerk than anything else.

So which is it? PPST3 seems to say Push Press is the best fit for heavy field stuff, but it looks to me like you and Rip aren't huge fans of it. Or should I just STFU, do whichever I feel like, and rotate through them every so often?

Thanks

Rotate like this:

Mon - Bench Press
    Weds - Press
    Fri - Incline Bench

Mon - Push Press / Push Jerk
    Weds - Bench Press or BP Variation
    Fri - Press