starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling Nervous On 100Kg Squat

Default Feeling Nervous On 100Kg Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My training show I have to squat 100kg tomorrow.
    At 53 and 3 months into the program I'm getting stronger but this milestone is playing in my mind - it's only 2.5kg more ... so why worry?

It is just another weight, only slightly higher than it was before.

If you use smaller plates instead of larger ones, it will *appear* to be lighter than it is. And then you lift it, and get the knowledge that you actually CAN lift that weight. The following session won't be a problem.

You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    It is just another weight, only slightly higher than it was before.

If you use smaller plates instead of larger ones, it will *appear* to be lighter than it is. And then you lift it, and get the knowledge that you actually CAN lift that weight. The following session won't be a problem.

You can do it!
    That's what used to do when I did ME days. Load it with all manner of different size plates. I wouldn't even load them in descending weight order other than the first one was a 45. After a few sets I had no idea how much it weighed. The trick is to not sit there between sets and figure it out. Gotta keep yourself occupied with other thoughts.

I have been practising technique today on lighter weights. Elbows up, chest up. Deep breath, hips back and knees bent simultaneously, knees pushed out, not too fast decent, look down and drive with the hips.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice Chebass88.

Putting another big wheel on is more psychology than anything else. Despite it being only 2.5 lbs more than a 25, 10 ,5, and a 2.5 lb plate set, it LOOKS a lot more intimidating.

Focus on setup and all the things you know about good form and get the reps.

Why don't you just think about it as 220 pounds. The real milestone was 200 pounds, and you got it just fine. No need to worry until 300 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by Russbowen View Post
    At 53 and 3 months into the program I'm getting stronger but this milestone is playing in my mind - it's only 2.5kg more ... so why worry?
    If you haven't already, read what Paul Horn has to say about that in his response to a similar question: http://startingstrength.com/resource...tml#post917893

Quote Originally Posted by Russbowen View Post
    When I have that type of anxiety, I tune the weight out of my mind. I don't even look at what's on the bar... I'm ONLY thinking about my setup and my form. After the first rep everything just settles in and you're back to doing reps without giving any thought to the weight. Just concentrate on staying tight and channel your inner Ronnie Coleman: "Light weight baby!"

Turn that worry into happiness! You're reaching a big milestone.... 100kg! Congratulations in advance... go attack it! Tomorrow you'll be posting about how it wasn't a big deal and you were worried about nothing

It's understandable. Loading the darned things makes them seem heavy, so the small plate idea is valid. I think I just couldn't be bothered unloading the smaller plates when I first did 100 kilos, so I just added something like a pair of 2.5s and two pairs of 1.25s to 90 kilos.

You could walk out a heavier weight. Or just unrack a heavier weight. Stand up with 120 kilos and 100 feels light in comparison.

Whatever, you've done the training, you will have recovered and adapted. It's probably going to feel disappointingly easy.

starting strength coach development program
    When I unrack a heavy weight and I start to get a little nervous, I just insult myself mentally and get a little angry. That seems to do the trick for me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast