starting strength gym

Thread: Starting Strength in the high school

Default Starting Strength in the high school

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    All-

This is my first post so if this is covered somewhere else in the forums please let me know.

Moving forward, I have recently began the LP at 36 years old. I am a middle/high school football coach and since reading the book and starting the LP I see now many of the problems with training high school athletes. Unfortunately, I have been guilty of some of these poor teaching practices by high school coaches. However I am attempting to make a change in our school. I will be responsible for the off-season/summer workouts for our middle school players. I think this will pay huge dividends in the future.

To make a long story short, I am NOT a certified SS coach. I have read the book, I feel confident in the techniques taught in the book, as well as my ability to convey the information to the kids. Have any of you attempted to put the knowledge gained through your experience using the LP to use with training middle/high school athletes?

On the other hand, could this attempt be considered "malpractice" as mentioned by Rip in his book when referring to the poor practices of high school s&c coaches?

Any and all info is appreciated.

You do not need permission to give out advice. Most people here are not SS certified and learndby reading the book.

You should follow your gut instinct on whether to go through with it or not.

I have given advice on lifting weights to people from both sexes anywhere from age 17-65. None of the people I have advised have reported any injury as of yet but they do thank me for the advice.

No, it is not "malpractice." You are a coach. Better have you teach them the core lifts and get them strong than do some other stupid stuff. Look at this way, someone's going to be coaching them. Better it you being somewhat informed with what works, rather than stupid silly BS.

LP works great with this age group. As long as they:
    1. Listen
    2. Eat
    3. Sleep
    4. Actually track their lifts
    5. Don't do extra stuff

Good luck!
    Last edited by crookedfinger; 03-21-2017 at 02:50 PM.

there are several threads regarding this buried in these boards.

John Janecek usually comments on them, since he is a HS coach and SSC I believe.

Dig thru his post history here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...bers/6273.html

You'll eventually get to the other "H.S. Coach Threads" . . .training youths, etc

HS S&C and Weight training is usually a fucking joke.

Much frustration . . . . my kids are becoming that age . . . no way to intervene and straighten shit out really

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post

HS S&C and Weight training is usually a fucking joke.

Much frustration . . . . my kids are becoming that age . . . no way to intervene and straighten shit out really
    True that.. I asked the HS coach for a program, as my kid is in 8th grade. It looked like something out of a body building magazine with calf raises and leg curls and all kinds of stupid shit. I thought he was going to give me some sort of 5x5 program or something that at least stressed the core lifts..... I crumpled that paper up in a ball, and purchased SS LOL... I was doing Stronglifts, but the 5 sets across was killing me, so it worked out for both of us and we work out together.