starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlifting on 5x5 HLM?

Default Deadlifting on 5x5 HLM?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Currently lifting 400x5x3 squat/deadlift, 215x5x3 bench, 170x5x3 ohp. Moving to HLM 5x5 on my squat and deadlift to get some extra volume and some lighter intensity to allow more cardio to accommodate some weight loss, because I'm way too fat around 375, I'm tired of it, and it's been fucking up my deadlifting for awhile.

Want to continue doing 5x3 linear on my pressing, because I have a lot more gains to go there, and I want to maintain my squat and deadlift and just add a bunch of conditioning and cardio on my down days to try and cut this fat out.

Not sure how to program deadlifts, though - any advice? Thinking 5x1 on Heavy day, 5x5 on Light, 5x3 on Medium, but not sure if that'll just completely overtax my recovery, considering how much I've been struggling with deadlifts anyway.

Or maybe someone else has a completely different suggestion than HLM? Just seems to be the most recommended for cutting/maintenance as far as I've found on my own. Also, inb4 get some coaching - it's price prohibitive for me at this time, I checked with several coaches.

Andy Baker wrote about this:

Simplifying the Heavy-Light-Medium Training System ? Part 3: Pulling ? Andy Baker

Also, there's this gem:

Client Q&A #3: Heavy-Light-Medium Set Up & Gym Time Saving Tip ? Andy Baker

Plus, for $25, the Garage Gym Warrior might be something to look into.

Just came back to call myself an idiot, because I found that exact link from Andy as I kept reading on my own.

I swear to God I could answer 100% of my own questions if I only read 5 minutes more.

Thanks for the links.
    Last edited by coleossus; 03-22-2017 at 10:43 AM.