starting strength gym

Thread: HLM after game weekend

Default HLM after game weekend

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

I知 looking at switching over to HLM next week. I知 early 40s, and started playing rugby last year. I still could push LP further, but I think it is time to switch from the beating I知 getting. My main question is how to program for the post game week.

I知 planning the normal week as:

Monday
    Squats-Bench-Cleans

Wednesday
    Squats(80%)-Press-Deadlift

Thursday
    Practice

Friday
    Squats(90%)-Bench Alternative(close grip most likely)-Row

The week following a game or tournament(Saturday or Sunday):

Monday
    Normal warmups on Squat to no more than 50% to get some blood flowing in the legs.
    Stretch/Foam Roll

Wednesday
    Squats(95%)-Bench-Cleans

Thursday
    Skip Practice

Friday
    Squats(80-90%)-Press-Deadlift

Saturday
    Practice if scheduled.

Would it work to just keep things as Light/Medium - Heavy - Light/Medium

You could probably do that and be fine.

Mon- Squat 5s @ 90%, Bench, Row/PullUps

Weds - Squat heavy 5s, Press, Deadlift

Fri - Squat 5s @ 80%, Close Grip or Incline, Cleans or Pull Ups

Andy,

Are you saying to program both normal week and after game week with the Heavy day on Wednesday? If so, my concern would be the Thursday practice which ends up being more of a pick up two hand touch game (stand, jog, sprint(HIIT?)), which is around 1-2 hours.

Monday lifting post game weekend is also a concern for me, hence the warmup style workout. I had a game this last Sunday, and I don't think I could have even done a light workout on Monday. On Wednesday of this week, I had a hard time lifting 95% of Friday's squats, the other lifts progressed as planned, but they were a bit tougher to finish. We also had uncontested scrums this last weekend, so I wasn't as beat up as usual. I had days after a game where I couldn't engage my abs at all, my wife had to help me out of chairs and I had to slither out of bed like a snake.

I don't know man. You are just gonna have to try and experiment with a few different set ups and see what you like best. I'm not experienced on the demands of a rugby practice/game so you'll just have to experiment.

But I do know that athletes can adapt to lifting and sport and I also know you are going to have to pick SOMETHING to suffer - practice, games, training? Figure out the priority order. Whatever is last is gonna have to be done under a little fatigue.

Andy,

I greatly appreciate your time.

The current plan is to HLM until November, then probably GGW. I think I can make decent gains in strength on the Presses and Pulls (they are way behind my squats, a bit of shoulder rehab went on while I was progressing the squat and crap deadlift form). I am alright with squats suffering as long as I keep doing them during the season until I can spend the off season to try to get them stronger. November - February.

Practice isn't too demanding. I was just trying to take the advice you gave someone else of having the day before and after a Heavy day as rest, which I didn't communicate earlier. Games beat the living crap out of me though, I've been carried off of fields afterwards because I could barely walk(age + I feel like I have to be in every play, learning that I don't). I could play every weekend, but I try to spread out playing to once every three weeks or so because of the beating I take.

I just don't want to do a follow up of last year. Lifted during winter, then found rugby and quit lifting(with maybe a half dozen times doing squats throughout the year when my back started bugging me). So I will be keeping practice to 1 time a week instead of 2-3, since I feel like I can benefit more for getting stronger, especially playing with and against guys half my age.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer everyone's questions here on this board.

maybe something like your "training without a plan" article could be of use here?

when I was playing basketball alot and lifting I made progress with a HLM setup but I would give myself a day off after an intense session for heavy squats....the deadlifts I never experienced any trouble with after a game ditto on pressing....you have to make sure you get plenty of carbs after a session so your weight doesnt do funky things......you might be able to only fit in two lifting session but in that case you could adjust the percentages of your medium day to be a little heavier if you just cant lift heavy that week

FWIW I am about to be knee deep in a Texas Method 4 day setup and I am going to attempt to do sprints and or basketball with it at 33 years old...I know that you advise against doing that Andy for an athlete but I figure what the hell I just want to try it to say i did it...if it doesnt work I will go to the GGW less aggressive program

Apologies for hijacking the thread, OP if recovery is an issue you might try ramping sets and see how it goes.

Andy would you apply HLM for younger groups practicing rugby twice a week Tuesdays/Thursdays ? (no game planned yet)

Quote Originally Posted by nwse View Post
    Andy,

I greatly appreciate your time.

The current plan is to HLM until November, then probably GGW. I think I can make decent gains in strength on the Presses and Pulls (they are way behind my squats, a bit of shoulder rehab went on while I was progressing the squat and crap deadlift form). I am alright with squats suffering as long as I keep doing them during the season until I can spend the off season to try to get them stronger. November - February.

Practice isn't too demanding. I was just trying to take the advice you gave someone else of having the day before and after a Heavy day as rest, which I didn't communicate earlier. Games beat the living crap out of me though, I've been carried off of fields afterwards because I could barely walk(age + I feel like I have to be in every play, learning that I don't). I could play every weekend, but I try to spread out playing to once every three weeks or so because of the beating I take.

I just don't want to do a follow up of last year. Lifted during winter, then found rugby and quit lifting(with maybe a half dozen times doing squats throughout the year when my back started bugging me). So I will be keeping practice to 1 time a week instead of 2-3, since I feel like I can benefit more for getting stronger, especially playing with and against guys half my age.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer everyone's questions here on this board.
    Garage Gym Warrior is an HLM template

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky85 View Post
    Apologies for hijacking the thread, OP if recovery is an issue you might try ramping sets and see how it goes.

Andy would you apply HLM for younger groups practicing rugby twice a week Tuesdays/Thursdays ? (no game planned yet)
    HLM is good for any intermediate with limitations on recover due to age or sport.