starting strength gym

Thread: Starr's 5x5 circuit

Default Starr's 5x5 circuit

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy

I know that Starr originially had a program where you would do his original 5x5 workout in a circuit method (made for athletes working in the weight room together).

I was wondering what kind of loading parameters he had used.. Did he propose to use the same loads/weight as you would if you did each exercise first? Or was the load decreased with each exercise and set since it was a circuit?

Thanks

I suggest you buy his book. I believe SS.com sells it. Its outdated but still has a lot of good information in it. Its an HLM program and loads were ascending sets of 5x5 using plate arrangments (135-185-225-275-315, etc). I don't recall whether he did Heavy-Light-Medium on different days for each lift of if everything was Heavy on Heavy Day, Light on LIght Day, etc. If it were me I'd fluctuate it so that there was only ONE heavy lift each session and the other two were either light or medium.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd72 View Post
    Andy

I know that Starr originially had a program where you would do his original 5x5 workout in a circuit method (made for athletes working in the weight room together).

I was wondering what kind of loading parameters he had used.. Did he propose to use the same loads/weight as you would if you did each exercise first? Or was the load decreased with each exercise and set since it was a circuit?

Thanks
    I used Starr 5x5 after running my LP. It was recommended to me by our very strong friends over at Westminster S&C. The logic being that it exposes you to fluctuated loads of volume and intensity throughout the week, instead of something like TM, which has a huge contrast between volume and intensity throughout a week, and can be quite harsh for some trainees who aren't equipped to recover from this type of program. Therefore it's a good transition program for some early intermediates. I used it for about 3 months running fives, then once I got to were I could only manage 4 reps on my top set, I dropped down to hitting one top triple for a few weeks( only on my top set on heavy day, kind of like Madcow, but without the backoff set). So now, I'm running singles across on my heavy day, 3x3(80%)light day, 1x5(90%) medium day. The Starr template of ascending sets didn't work to well when I applied it to my press though, I think it neeed more volume at higher intensity, I've had better luck now with TM for it.