starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift programming and grip

Default Deadlift programming and grip

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been doing Deadlifts once a week with a top set of 3-5 reps and a backoff (90% of top set) set of 1x5. I have been using a hook grip because I can't get in a good position with an alternate grip. It hurts like hell but its been working up until now. Last week I pulled 360 (1x4), so this week I pulled 306 (1x3). The issue was my grip because after setting the bar down each time, the blood rushes back to my thumb and hurts for 10 seconds. This kills a lot of my time and energy and wasn't able to complete my 5 reps. This has happened before. If my grip is my limiting factor, could I use straps at this point? Also, maybe I could try changing the reps to 2 sets of 3 while using the hook grip?

Alternating Grip? Why not?

I have scoliosis and it feels like it prevents me from getting into a good position to pull. I know Lamar Gant has scoliosis and pulled with an alternating grip, but I'm not Lamar Gant!

Fair enough. I'd use straps if you can't hook your work sets. Double overhand is going to limit your poundage too much. If you aren't competing then I wouldn't worry about it. You can DOH and/or hook your warm up sets to get more practice/grip work and then throw on some straps for work sets. No big deal.