starting strength gym

Thread: Back cannot recover

Default Back cannot recover

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy, last week Friday (3/24), I failed my last rep of 355x5 squat. I tried to grind it up for, like, 6-8 seconds, which completely destroyed my back. I couldn't finish my deadlifts because my back couldn't take it. Last Tuesday (3/28), I did my volume squat of 325x5x5, which went okay, but couldn't finish my power cleans of 212.5x2x4. After that my back felt the same it did after failure. So, I decided to take last Friday off from any squat of deadlifts. Over the weekend, my back started to feel better. This morning, I decided to redo last weeks volume, but during the workout my back began to hurt again. I still finished all five sets, but couldn't do anything else after. My back is still tight from this morning. I don't know if I should just take a couple of weeks as a deload, maybe 3x5@80% for squats, and 1x5@80% for deads. I am being somewhat stubborn because I recently started my intermediate phase and want to maximize my gainz.

M, 30, 215lbs, 5'10"

Thanks for taking a look.

Try putting your Deadlifts on your Wednesday workout (assuming a MWF setup).

Mon - Squat Vol + Light cleans, Weds - Light Squat + Deads, Fri - Intensity Squat + heavy cleans.

Might work for you and condition your back

Thanks for the response, Andy! I am running a four-day split with squats and pulls on tue & fri. What do you think of putting my deadlift before my intensity squats on friday? Or would that still be too much?

Squat will be compromised after heavy deads.