starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question from a novice regarding the Bench

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by SSDino View Post
    So benching with feet up vs Loaded Push Ups? I think your right cwd, it would be rep increases after a certain point. I already use over 20kg on my back and after a certain point it's not gonna work to put more
    As you can see, the problem with pushups is that you can't keep loading it forever. Also, your bodyweight fluctuates so pushups cannot be loaded and especially not microloaded as accurately as the bar. So you cannot progress as smoothly or as far with pushups. Also, I have never done weighted pushups but I would imagine they are hard on your wrists after a certain point, much harder than benching anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Also, I have never done weighted pushups but I would imagine they are hard on your wrists after a certain point, much harder than benching anyway.
    I imagine you'd use pushup handles or small dumbbells, giving you about the same hand/wrist stress as benching. Maybe a little better, since you can choose the wrist angle (like with a swiss bar).

The loading/microloading problem, and the lack of safeties are the big problem with pushups I think.

Well you guys are right, there's no substitute to the bench, and definitely not in the long-term. I'm using 23kg on the push up doing 3x5 atm, I believe they can be done safely for a while longer (Perhaps at 40kg+ they become too risky). I'll continue doing them for a bit longer and perhaps they give me some benefits when I get back to benching. I've started to feel a lot better in my back thanks to squatting and deadlifting so it's probably not long until I can go back to bench pressing.

By the way I'm curious; why is the bench press superior than doing dips for gaining strength. Everybody in the gym bench and very few do the press & dips even though they aren't worse exercises?

Quote Originally Posted by SSDino View Post
    By the way I'm curious; why is the bench press superior than doing dips for gaining strength. Everybody in the gym bench and very few do the press & dips even though they aren't worse exercises?
    Dips are bad for some people's shoulders. And I'm told they are pretty awkward/uncomfortable to load if you are very strong and need a lot of plates.

Maybe they would work as a primary upper-body lift, alternated with standing press, for someone who isn't very strong yet.

starting strength coach development program
    They also have the same problem of being difficult to load accurately due to bodyweight fluctuations. Also for heavier untrained people they may be difficult to even get started with, much like chinups.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12