starting strength gym

Thread: Hating on 5/3/1

Default Hating on 5/3/1

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Andy do you feel that 5/3/1 is a solid program for a recreational lifter. It seems simple and straightforward with tons of variations as far as assisatance goes. I have followed it a few times but always get derailed by an article or a comment. I know it is not optimal but for a non competitive lifter what is your opinion.

It's worked plenty well for a lot of people. The best thing about it (or any other reasonable program) is that is does give you a structure you can follow and use for a long period of time. I've always said that any program followed with consistency and dedication is going to work better than doing something different every couple of weeks.

The main drawback of 5/3/1 as it is written is the lack of volume on the main lifts, BUT some guys do really well on a little less volume.

Don't listen to all the internet bullshit. Like anything else....some guys have gotten great progress, some have not. The reasons people succeed (or don't) is quite a long list, much of which has nothing to do with the actual program.

Follow the program for 6 months, eat well, sleep well, and train your ass off and then re-assess at the end of 6 months and see what has happened.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Follow the program for 6 months, eat well, sleep well, and train your ass off and then re-assess at the end of 6 months and see what has happened.
    I ran this program for a long time. I found that high volume Boring But Big type stuff work really drove a lot of progress for me in the Press and Bench, and crushed me on the DL and squat.

Reminded me of the quote, "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week"