starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SSLP Press Stuck, Not Bench

Default SSLP Press Stuck, Not Bench

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Client of mine press has been stuck for a while now. We've tried a couple resets and we've had form checked on the FB forum (rebound with the hips could use a little work but doesn't seem to be what's holding her back). Her bench is still steadily going. Is it intelligent at this point to change to benching 2x/week and press 1/x per week until the bench stalls? I'm also going to change pressing to 4-5 sets of 5@8 to back off intensity and increase volume. After her bench LP runs out she'd like to focus on the press, in which case pressing frequency will swap with bench (2x/week).

Thoughts?

Yeah, I am curious to see what people say to this, too. I was training my girlfriend and I think the biggest thing was that we just didn't have small enough microplates. Do you those? They are invaluable, especially for females. I also switched her to 5 sets of 3 on her bench once that second stall hit. That has been working fine for a bit. But when that slows down I'll probably do similar and add more volume. But curious to see how other people train females!

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

Also, how long as the LP been?
    Have you switched to triples yet?

I wouldn’t use RPE to determine load for a novice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Patterson View Post

She's eating enough, resting enough between sets, and we've tried microloading down to 1# per session. She's been doing her LP for about 3 months now. Her press always stalls around 70 pounds (for 3, so yes we've switched to triples). I'd say she's not a novice any longer and she's competent to use RPE to the point that it's effective.

Her build is very close to Vera Nahce. Those damned long arms make her press a rather length endeavor. Her squat made it to 170 before a hip injury, bench is 95.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    I'd say she's not a novice any longer and she's competent to use RPE to the point that it's effective.
    There's your answer. It's time for intermediate programming of some shade.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Goldstein View Post
    There's your answer. It's time for intermediate programming of some shade.

Well I wasn't asking whether she was an intermediate or novice anymore, so that's not an answer. I'd consider the suggestions I made intermediate programming. I was trying to make the simplest modification and ask for thoughts on that modification. The complication is that she's still running LP on bench so I was asking whether switching bench to 2x/week and press to 1 as well as adding some additional volume for press is an intelligent move from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Patterson View Post

If you're coaching someone and choosing their loads, does it really matter what you call it? It's functionally similar to using RPE and telling us 4-5x5@8 gives us an idea of what kind of training stress is planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    Well I wasn't asking whether she was an intermediate or novice anymore, so that's not an answer. I'd consider the suggestions I made intermediate programming. I was trying to make the simplest modification and ask for thoughts on that modification. The complication is that she's still running LP on bench so I was asking whether switching bench to 2x/week and press to 1 as well as adding some additional volume for press is an intelligent move from here.
    The answer is yes.

starting strength coach development program
    The move to more volume on the press at a lower intensity would be wise. However, what would be the reason to switch to 1x a week pressing? If her press is not going up, the idea would be to press more, not less. If she wants to focus on pressing instead of bench, I would actually switch her to 2x a week press and bench 1x in the middle. Then, adjust the press volume/intensity accordingly within the 2x a week setup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast