Default 4 - Day Texas Method

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach Andy,

Week Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday
    1 Bench Press 5x5 Squat 5x5 Bench 5RM Squat 5RM
    Press 3x8 SLDL 3x5 Press 5RM Deadlift 5RM
    Close Grip Bench 3x10 Chin up/Pull up 3x10 LTE 3x10 Weighted Chin up/Pull up 5RM
    2 Press 5x5 Squat 5x5 Press 5RM Squat 5RM
    Bench 3x8 RDL 3x5 Bench 5RM Deadlift 5RM
    Close Grip Bench 3x10 Chin up/Pull up 3x10 LTE 3x10 Weighted Chin up/Pull up 5RM

I plan to program the 4- day Texas Method this way. Please critique.

I prefer putting the Bench Intensity w/ Press Volume and Press Intensity with Bench Volume rather than doing all the Intensity and Volume work on the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I prefer putting the Bench Intensity w/ Press Volume and Press Intensity with Bench Volume rather than doing all the Intensity and Volume work on the same day.
    I've done the 4 day split before, and I concur with this. You also always want to put the intensity work first, and the volume work second. The nature of volume on these is typically that, you can still get it in even if you're tired. Intensity work is not the same in my personal experience, especially on OHP.

Andy, this the Four-day texas method: version #2 from PP.

Attachment 6140
    Attachment 6141

Only changed the last row (of 10 to 15 reps) of the program to suit my home gym set up.

Quote Originally Posted by LucaTurilli View Post
    I've done the 4 day split before, and I concur with this. You also always want to put the intensity work first, and the volume work second. The nature of volume on these is typically that, you can still get it in even if you're tired. Intensity work is not the same in my personal experience, especially on OHP.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by LucaTurilli View Post
    Agreed
    Sorry but I don't think I understand. The program organizes the bench and press volume on Monday and the Intensity on Thursday. Do you mean to say that it should rather be bench ID and Press VD on Monday and Press ID and Bench VD on Thursday? Does the Four-day Texas method: version #2 from PP cater towards to a different purpose than being a general intermediate program?

No. The workload is still the same. An intensity and volume session for each lift. This just allows you to train each lift fresh for the intensity day, thus maximizing loading, and avoiding super long sessions where you are doing two lifts for high volume.

No. The workload is still the same. An intensity and volume session for each lift. This just allows you to train each lift fresh for the intensity day, thus maximizing loading, and avoiding super long sessions where you are doing two lifts for high volume.
    Rearranging by that logic;

Week Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday
    1 Bench Press 5RM Squat 5RM Press 5RM Deadlift 5RM
    Press 5x5 SLDL 3x5 Bench 3x8 Squat 5x5
    Close Grip Bench 3x10 Weighted Pull up 3x5 LTE 3x10
    2 Bench Press 5RM Squat 5RM Press 5RM Deadlift 5RM
    Press 3x8 RDL 3x5 Bench 5x5 Squat 5x5
    Close Grip Bench 3x10 Weighted Chin up 3x5 LTE 3x10

Does this organization look reasonable?

Notes and observations:
    Higher rep sets on press is because your advice to add 10 rep finishers at the end really helped with my press movements. Also, I understand that the presses can tolerate higher frequency/volume anyway.
    But this is beginning to look a lot like my three day HLM program spread over 4 days with extra press movements.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, this looks exceedingly reasonable. Do this for a few months, make only minor tweaks as you go and then see for yourself what you think. You'll never learn what works for you if you don't give something an honest run for a while and then measure your progress. You may find certain elements of this that you really like and want to keep and certain elements you need to modify or discard completely. Of course no static program works forever and everything requires evolution over time, but you have to start somewhere. This is as good a place as any