starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternating heavy and lighter deadlift

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It definitely looks that way. This var speed is pretty damn fast. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Greaps View Post
    Thank you for the tip, think I have more time before needing to alternate.
    265lb
    DEADLIFT YouTube
    Def, those look very easy for you.

I actually tried alternating between heavy and light dl days with about a 20% deload on the light days and it didn't work for me. I switched to just deadlifting heavy on Monday, only chins on Wednesday, and then light (75%) paused deadlifts on Friday. Unfortunately, that only worked for a couple of weeks. Not really sure what to do but I'm going to try a lighter offset on the paused deadlifts (was thinking 65%) to see if that helps.

Starting Strength Coach

Might have stalled because it's not enough stress. Might consider deficit deadlifts on Friday for 3x5.

Yeah, I am worried that it's too little stress as well but I figured since I was still feeling pretty stiff/tired on Monday that Friday's 75% paused dl's were still too much stress. I'll definitely give deficits a go if I'm still stuck, though, and thanks for the advice.

Maybe alternate DL's with heavy rack pulls(?). Since you can pull more in a RP, but are only performing the top 60% of the movement, you might be able to increase your DL without all the recovery issues associated with excessive DL's. Let your squats build the hamstring development to get the bar off the ground, and use the RP's to build the strength in moving the bar into the lock out of a DL. Being able to RP more weight than a DL seems to help me also become more "familiar" with heavier weights, without killing myself.

Just a thought...

Starting Strength Coach

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    Maybe alternate DL's with heavy rack pulls(?). Since you can pull more in a RP, but are only performing the top 60% of the movement, you might be able to increase your DL without all the recovery issues associated with excessive DL's. Let your squats build the hamstring development to get the bar off the ground, and use the RP's to build the strength in moving the bar into the lock out of a DL. Being able to RP more weight than a DL seems to help me also become more "familiar" with heavier weights, without killing myself.

Just a thought...
    another viable option. But I would try and exhaust weekly progression before alternating which would slow progression to every other week.

Bottom line: more stress needed to drive adaptation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12