starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternating heavy and lighter deadlift

Default Alternating heavy and lighter deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    -I workout every third day due to work schedule. I am on NLP reaching a point where one no longer deadlifts every workout and one should begin to power clean. I tested my racked position on the power clean and have some serious flexibility issues and frankly am not to keen on learning this movement yet. I know how to to barbell row and understand it is a common replacement to power cleans.

My question is would it be acceptable to do an alternating heavy / light deadlift rather than alternating deadlift and barbell row. I just don't like the idea of going 6 days between deadlifts. If so at what % of the heavy day is a light pulling day and at what sets / reps I would of imagined doing 1X5 on light days, after normal warm ups.

Yes, alternating heavy/light DL is fine. I do this often with trainees. I often lower the load anywhere from 5-20% from the heavy day and increase the volume a bit to 2-3 work sets. Start with a 10% reduction in load and perform 2x5. If it seems too easy then either reduce the % offset a bit or add a set. If it's too hard then increase % offset to 15-20%

Hmm, as a way of making the light deadlift less, uh, boring but still keeping it light and reinforcing deadlift mechanics what about making the lighter session a double overhand or fat grip deadlift so it's both challenging but self-limiting?

Just depends on how much you are having to take off the bar for those. If grip is too self limiting I don't think it's useful. I use a lot of SLDLs for this purpose. A "light" deadlift, but one that is far more challenging than just deadlifting light.

FWIW, I stopped deadlifting all together early last year and started a LP on SLDL. When I went back to deadlifting, I had added nearly 40 pounds (after a 2 week re-learning phase) on my conventional DL.

Big fan of SLDL here

I've known several lifters over time who were very strong deadlifters that rarely deadlifted

Here is my deadlift in your opinion is it time to alternate heavy and light deadlifts, I lift every third day due to work schedule.
    DEADLIFT YouTube

SPEED UP YOUR SET!!!!!
    It took you almost 2 minutes to perform a set of 5. This was not a limit set of 5 by any stretch. You are losing a tremendous amount of energy at the bottom by resting so long between reps. Set the bar down, settle it over midfoot, arch your back, and PULL! There should only be a few seconds between reps. You'll find your sets easier if you speed up the cadence. Thinking too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    SPEED UP YOUR SET!!!!!
    It took you almost 2 minutes to perform a set of 5. This was not a limit set of 5 by any stretch. You are losing a tremendous amount of energy at the bottom by resting so long between reps. Set the bar down, settle it over midfoot, arch your back, and PULL! There should only be a few seconds between reps. You'll find your sets easier if you speed up the cadence. Thinking too much.
    Thank you

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you for the tip, think I have more time before needing to alternate.
    265lb
    DEADLIFT YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast