starting strength gym

Thread: 40yd dash time

Default 40yd dash time

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello there, I was just wondering if it is possible to take your 40yd dash time from 5.2 to 5.0 or 4.9, without crazy genetics, staying at the same bodyfat, with a program focused on increasing the big 4?

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

No idea. Guess you'll have to try it and see. I assume you are not "asking for a friend..."

I was kinda just asking in general. My 40 was 5.1 hand timed so maybe 5.2 electric. That was in May 2017 when I was squatting around 195-200x5x5. Now I squat 290x5x3(Yes I know this isn’t much progress in such a long time but I was screwing around with lifting in the summer and early fall, so I started SS late fall with 220x5x3 Squat lol). I haven’t got my 40 properly timed recently, and even if I did I’m not sure my bodyfat back then, and now. Btw I’m 15.

Starting Strength Coach

Test it out and see. Though keep in mind it might improve just by virtue of you going through puberty.

Alright thanks for you help!

Starting Strength Coach

I didn't do much of anything but hey you are welcome!

What excellent polite manners they are teaching the youth these days...

17ub31.jpg

Yes it can improve How much depends on genetics, age etc. I went from 5.1 at 14 to 4.7at 18. In that time I grew from 5’7” 145 to 6’ 185 I got a lot stronger in that time period when I switch from bmx racing before puberty to weight training and training for and playing nothing but football. lol 1985-1989 for how old that info is, Squats and whataburger.

Starting Strength Coach

God I love Whataburger!!!

You know they have THE best mustard. It is so thick you can literally hold it over your head and it will not spill a drop. These fucking idiots with their In'n'Out have no clue!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    God I love Whataburger!!!

You know they have THE best mustard. It is so thick you can literally hold it over your head and it will not spill a drop. These fucking idiots with their In'n'Out have no clue!
    Yeah I miss it where I live now. I worked there for a couple of years in high school. I would get my free #1 for the shift and take a#3 home after.

starting strength coach development program
    Bobby,
    I ran track in high school, LSU defensive back way back in the day. Hopefully I can help you here.

Here was my progression of my 40 yd time, on grass, i.e. not on a track:
    Junior year in HS: 4.5
    Senior year: 4.4
    Best time at LSU: 4.35

To give you some feel, my 100 yd, not as good as my 40, was 9.9. Yes, I am that old, we ran the 100 yd, not meters in those days

The main thing that will help your sprint speed is a bigger engine. Gain some muscle! Second is actual technique of the sprint, i.e. on grass/turf, practice your starts and take off position, etc. There is a big difference in a track with cleats vs grass/turf and blocks vs no blocks. Practice exactly how you will be timed in exactly the same shoes.

HTH