starting strength gym

Thread: Cut before bulk due to injury?

Default Cut before bulk due to injury?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Not sure if this is the correct place for this as it crosses a couple different areas so move it if need be.

First off, I bought the book and read it. I've always been active but never serious about lifting so will be starting as a novice basically.
    Male 44
    5'9"
    215 lbs (so definitely have a little body fat to lose)

Recently I had a fall and tweaked my shoulder a little. Didn't think to much about it until the 1st time I benched and it got worse. I haven't seen a Dr but did have an unofficial MRI (I'm a tech in the imaging dept) that showed a little fluid in 2 places around the long head of the biceps tendon and the coracoacromial ligament. Not a complete tear but probably a few torn fibers.

With that in mind, would I be better off 1) cutting fat for a month while it heals before starting the program since I will probably be adding fat during the initial bulking period anyway eating in surplus or 2) concentrate on squats, deads, and anything that doesn't bother the shoulder until it is well enough to start the program correctly?

Thanks
    Shane

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

How recently was the fall?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    How recently was the fall?
    Fall was probably 6 or 7 weeks ago. First time benching last week definitely aggravated that area but could have been partially due to bad form on my part. It's also possible that it had healed and was completely due to benching. Pain is anterior and slightly medial very close to the AC joint. With arm extended straight out in front, raising or bringing across my chest causes the pain. Pressing doesn't hurt going up but very slightly on the way down.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

I would just run LP on that thing and work the weight up slowly. Possible you sprained the AC joint but if it was 6-7 weeks ago you aught to start loading it little by little like a few weeks ago.

Don't bother with a weight cut especially when you can't load heavy. This is a recipe for atrophy but Santana would be the one to ask regarding body weight manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    I would just run LP on that thing and work the weight up slowly. Possible you sprained the AC joint but if it was 6-7 weeks ago you aught to start loading it little by little like a few weeks ago.

Don't bother with a weight cut especially when you can't load heavy. This is a recipe for atrophy but Santana would be the one to ask regarding body weight manipulation.

Thanks! I'll take it slow on the bench and work the program for the rest.