starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming for the novice program

Default Programming for the novice program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I've been doing starting strength for 2 months now and I've been happy with my progress. I'm 6', 170 lbs, 35 years old and I was a total novice when I started. My problem is the volume is starting to be too much and I need to change something, I'm just not sure the best way to do it. I've been doing the lp back squats every workout and alternating deadlifts and cleans. I'm happy with my upper body progress, but the squats and deadlifts have stalled. I missed my second squat workout at 190 lbs. I deadlifted 240x5 then missed the last workout because I felt like I just hadn't recovered enough. So here's my question. In practical programming he says to add front squats on the Wednesday workout as a light day. Should I add those in, or can I just do a light day with back squats on Wednesday on add weight like usual on Monday and Friday? For deadlifts I know I need to cut back now, but I wasn't sure what to replace it with. I don't have access to a GHD, so should I do Romanian deadlifts or good mornings and alternate like in starting strength? Or should I do what he has in practical programming, which is deadlifts once every 2 weeks and add in a pull up day as well? I have been doing chin ups every other workout already. Thanks for your advice.

I would recommend that you try putting on some more body weight. It's very likely that being only 170 pounds at 6' is the limiting factor.

Quote Originally Posted by baloeb View Post
    Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I've been doing starting strength for 2 months now and I've been happy with my progress. I'm 6', 170 lbs, 35 years old and I was a total novice when I started. My problem is the volume is starting to be too much and I need to change something, I'm just not sure the best way to do it. I've been doing the lp back squats every workout and alternating deadlifts and cleans. I'm happy with my upper body progress, but the squats and deadlifts have stalled. I missed my second squat workout at 190 lbs. I deadlifted 240x5 then missed the last workout because I felt like I just hadn't recovered enough. So here's my question. In practical programming he says to add front squats on the Wednesday workout as a light day. Should I add those in, or can I just do a light day with back squats on Wednesday on add weight like usual on Monday and Friday? For deadlifts I know I need to cut back now, but I wasn't sure what to replace it with. I don't have access to a GHD, so should I do Romanian deadlifts or good mornings and alternate like in starting strength? Or should I do what he has in practical programming, which is deadlifts once every 2 weeks and add in a pull up day as well? I have been doing chin ups every other workout already. Thanks for your advice.
    1 - good work so far, keep it up! First, how much did you weigh when you started, and can you answer the first three questions?

2 - There's several questions here.

"In practical programming he says to add front squats on the Wednesday workout as a light day. Should I add those in, or can I just do a light day with back squats on Wednesday on add weight like usual on Monday and Friday?" A light squat day - with the Squat, not the front squat - is a good choice here. 3 sets of 5 with 80% of the Monday weight.

"For deadlifts I know I need to cut back now, but I wasn't sure what to replace it with. I don't have access to a GHD, so should I do Romanian deadlifts or good mornings and alternate like in starting strength? Or should I do what he has in practical programming, which is deadlifts once every 2 weeks and add in a pull up day as well?" - this is a fundamental reading error. 2 things.

1 - you likely do not need to 'cut back'. become a verified user, post a form check to the SSC board or to the technique board. Likely you've got room to improve your form. Technical error is one of the biggest hurdles to a successful LP, and one reason why the success rate for coached athletes is so much higher than self coached.

2 - if you do need to adjust the plan, the first option is phase 3: A - Deadlift B - Chins A- Power Clean B- Chins A -Deadlift - once every 5 workouts, not every 2 weeks. There is an example in older versions of PPST that does have the every other week shown, but that isn't this context and wouldn't be appropriate. The every 5 workout protocol is fine but not what many here would recommend, because dropping the frequency that low tends not to work great. Instead, a common suggestion is Monday - DL, Wednesday - Chin, Friday - Clean. or vice versa. This seems to work well.

Yeah, definitely don't drop DL frequency to less than once a week. Introduce chins and gain weight. I don't think you should introduce squat light day.

Thanks for the replies! I know my weight is low still, but I'm doing my best with the food and rest. I like the Monday dl, Wednesday chin, Friday clean suggestion. I'll start giving that a try before I do a light squat day. I don't see any option to become verified on here. How should I do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Goldstein View Post
    1 - good work so far, keep it up! First, how much did you weigh when you started, and can you answer the first three questions?
    I was 160 to 162 when I started. I thought that the eating was the hardest part at first, but it's getting easier.

I was 160 to 162 when I started. I thought that the eating was the hardest part at first, but it's getting easier.
    That's not bad - about a pound a week. Keep eating, and keep eating more. You likely are not stuck in a real sense.

Where did your squat and deadlift start?

How long are you resting between sets?

and how many pounds are you jumping between sessions?

Thanks for the replies! I know my weight is low still, but I'm doing my best with the food and rest. I like the Monday dl, Wednesday chin, Friday clean suggestion. I'll start giving that a try before I do a light squat day. I don't see any option to become verified on here. How should I do that?
    Check the sticky.

My squat started at 105, and my deadlift at 145. I've been going up 5 on my squat lately and 10 on my deadlift, but I think that needs to go to 5 now too. My press has gone from 50 to 75, and my bench from 85 to 115. I've been resting at least 3 or 4 minutes, sometimes more. The joints in my hip have been aching a bit lately, which is why I thought the deadlift frequency needed to change.

starting strength coach development program
    My squat started at 105, and my deadlift at 145. I've been going up 5 on my squat lately and 10 on my deadlift, but I think that needs to go to 5 now too. My press has gone from 50 to 75, and my bench from 85 to 115. I've been resting at least 3 or 4 minutes, sometimes more. The joints in my hip have been aching a bit lately, which is why I thought the deadlift frequency needed to change.
    Rest 5 minutes between sets, as a start. Toward the end of your LP, 5 becomes 6,7,8 minutes, and that's fine. You need to post a form check - for your DL first, then your squat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast