starting strength gym

Thread: Training

Default Training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Brent Carter: hey I have a quick question regarding training, I’m currently running Texas method I’ve been on it since December. I only ran the lp novice 3 months as Ive been lifting for 6 years experience, I just started learning the ss squat method from my friend who put me on to it. Form and technique getting better, but my question is I’m current 5’6@135 and squatting 5x5@275 idk if I should scratch Texas and pursue HLM? Or do I start from complete scratch and do a novice LP for an entire year or will that not work? Not sure what to do looking for your help, value your opinion thank you.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

If you can lift moderately heavy (for you) recover and do it again a little heavier 48-72hours later you are a novice and should be doing the novice program. Once doing the novice LP you don't stop doing it based on a certain time frame. You stop doing the novice LP when you simply can't keep doing the novice LP.

Also you are underweight.... Significantly underweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    If you can lift moderately heavy (for you) recover and do it again a little heavier 48-72hours later you are a novice and should be doing the novice program. Once doing the novice LP you don't stop doing it based on a certain time frame. You stop doing the novice LP when you simply can't keep doing the novice LP.

Also you are underweight.... Significantly underweight.
    Where should I start with weights? I agree about body weight too. How much rest between sets?

How much should I start out at? Weight wise. I also agree with underweight I’m terrible with dieting. Just so I’m clear in my understanding of your response, even having 6 years exp without ss method you’d say just start out at lp ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cxlesper View Post
    Form and technique getting better
    If you're serious about improving form and technique you need to post videos of your lifts or get a coach to critique them in person.

Default Okay

So even if I’ve had 6 years prior lifting experience as a collegiate sprinter I should still do novice?

Starting Strength Coach

So even if I’ve had 6 years prior lifting experience as a collegiate sprinter I should still do novice?
    yes

Starting Strength Coach

Where should I start with weights? I agree about body weight too. How much rest between sets?
    Titrate weight up to where the bar speed starts to slow down just a little. You rest the ammount of time between sets it takes to get the next set. All of this is in the book which I highly encourage you get and read if you really want to make the most of this.

Thank you so much Brent! The books been helpful both pp and ss which I have they just don’t cover that part about whether experienced lifters should still do lp or not, it wasn’t just not credited to my understanding and you made it clear. So thank you again

Starting Strength Coach

starting strength coach development program
    Oh, it's in there but you are welcome all the same.