starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make changes to Novice LP or doing something wrong?

Default Make changes to Novice LP or doing something wrong?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am Male/32/6'2"/202lbs. I've been doing LP for a month and have gained 20 lbs but I'm not getting the expected strength gains and have stalled on bench and squat. My 5RM has gone up 30-45 lbs in each lift except bench which has increased only 5 lbs. I eat close to 5,000 calories, I practice form a lot although it needs work, I always do warm up sets, and my 5RM's are probably around 8-9 RPE. The only thing that I'm definitely doing wrong is not sleeping enough some nights, sometimes 8 hours, sometimes 5-6. The sleeping problem can't be fixed.

I don't think the problem is my diet or my form. My sleep is inconsistent and it makes sense I'd not be able to jump 5 lbs for each lift each workout but it doesn't explain why one day I can add weight to deadlift and the press but not to squat or bench. I don't know if I'm having no real progress in strength/muscle-building and simply getting better form, better CNS and a truer 5RM. Or if I am progressing but inconsistently due to inconsistent sleeping. Or if I'm actually done with novice LP and that's why I'm starting to plateau and maybe need to find ways to extend the novice LP phase. Also, I've done years of bodyweight exercise which might explain decent strength to begin with and possible not even a novice.

Should I do micro-plate jumps now on squat and bench, or maybe do one day on two off, or any of the other ideas listed on the forum post, "Trying to keep LP alive"? Do I just need more sleep or if I can't fix the sleep problem, are there ways to work around it like doing lifts one day on two off for more recovery time?

My lifts from Jan 1, 2018 to today:
    SQUAT 145 to 185 lbs
    BENCH 180 to 185 lbs
    PRESS 80 to 110 lbs
    DEADLIFT 195 to 240 lbs

You probably started way too heavy on the bench. I mean you went up 30 pounds on your press....but yes you should microload the upper body lifts, but it’s not necessary for the lower body.

Post some videos from the appropriate angles for the lifts so we can check out your technique.

How long are your rest periods? Your sleep thing is weird. But let’s eliminate other variables first. I’m betting you get some technique errors, need more rest between sets and need more food.

I'm kind of concerned about why you are mentioning 5RMs at this point in your training. Assuming that you have little to no weightraining experience prior to beginning your LP, your starting point could very well have been too aggressive. You started way way way too heavy on the bench and likely too heavy on the squat and deadlift as well. Within the first month of LP no set of lifts should be anywhere close to what most would consider a 5RM. Most likely what occurred is you started too heavy on everything and never really allowed your form to get any kind of consistency at those lower weights. Nobody should require the kind of modifications to the program that you are talking about after a single month.

Also yes, you do need to try and fix your sleep hygiene. Also it is generally a positive mindset to just assume your form sucks. There is always something to fix with form.

I think I probably started too heavy also. I have microplates from Amazon on the way and will try them for bench and press. I'll work on getting videos uploaded soon. My rest periods are around 3-5 minutes, sometimes longer on squats. THanks for the advice.

I thought that each set of 5 was supposed to be your 5RM or something close to it. Or at least the closest to your 5RM while still having good form. I probably did start way too aggressive. How are you supposed to choose the weight that your lifting in the first weeks of LP? Can/should I start over LP from the beginning?

And my form is definitely a problem especially on squat.

Quote Originally Posted by ReeseD View Post
    I thought that each set of 5 was supposed to be your 5RM or something close to it. Or at least the closest to your 5RM while still having good form. I probably did start way too aggressive. How are you supposed to choose the weight that your lifting in the first weeks of LP? Can/should I start over LP from the beginning?

I see you mentioning form a lot. One thing that you might be doing is sabotaging yourself with the "perfect form" concept. Whenever you push your limits your form will not be perfect, and that is fine. If you can't hire a coach you should thoroughly read the book and post your form on SSC's forum for some cues. At your height, even with shitty genetics, you should be able to hit 225 squat with no issues.

Do not "try to keep LP alive". I'd say drop the bench by 5% and try to microload, if you don't have access to microplates try adding 5lbs until it stalls. After it stalls switch the programming to HLM described in PPST. Don't microload the squat.

You should still be gaining weight.

I think I probably started too heavy also. I have microplates from Amazon on the way and will try them for bench and press. I'll work on getting videos uploaded soon. My rest periods are around 3-5 minutes, sometimes longer on squats. THanks for the advice.
    You should rest AT LEAST 5 minutes. Don't go over 10.

How are you supposed to choose the weight that your lifting in the first weeks of LP? Can/should I start over LP from the beginning?

I recommend actually buying the book and reading it. Were you a "bencher" before starting SSLP?

Two humongous critical errors I made when I started my LP:

1) Didn't READ THE BOOK

2) Set my bench way too damn high (actually right about where yours is)

But I'll throw you a bone because I know those feels. You set your starting weight for each lift by performing sets of 5 with GOOD FORM, making appropriate increasing weight jumps between each set. When you get to a weight where the BAR SPEED STARTS TO SLOW DOWN but doesn't cause a massive for breakdown, do two more sets of 5 (unless its a deadlift) and THAT is your starting weight.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Have you done any form checks on these forums? Because this...

I don't think the problem is my diet or my form.
    ...is usually a red flag for these types of questions if someone has not done any form checks or received coaching. Which I think is confirmed by this:

My sleep is inconsistent and it makes sense I'd not be able to jump 5 lbs for each lift each workout but it doesn't explain why one day I can add weight to deadlift and the press but not to squat or bench.
    IMHO, it would be highly unusual, absent a form problem, a physiological oddity, or a tendency to quit early to see stalls on the bench and squat only, but not on the deadlift and press.

I don't know if I'm having no real progress in strength/muscle-building and simply getting better form, better CNS and a truer 5RM. Or if I am progressing but inconsistently due to inconsistent sleeping.
    If you were squatting three plates and stalling, I might go to sleep as the culprit. It shouldn't be at 185. Lots of us with kids, challenging careers, or both often find ourselves in the 5-6 hour range on many nights and still manage to add weight to the bar.

Or if I'm actually done with novice LP and that's why I'm starting to plateau and maybe need to find ways to extend the novice LP phase. Also, I've done years of bodyweight exercise which might explain decent strength to begin with and possible not even a novice.
    Your starting weights are not unusual for a 200 lbs man. I wouldn't be assuming intermediate status this early. Just my two cents.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by djoksimo View Post
    I recommend actually buying the book and reading it. Were you a "bencher" before starting SSLP?

Two humongous critical errors I made when I started my LP:

1) Didn't READ THE BOOK

2) Set my bench way too damn high (actually right about where yours is)

But I'll throw you a bone because I know those feels. You set your starting weight for each lift by performing sets of 5 with GOOD FORM, making appropriate increasing weight jumps between each set. When you get to a weight where the BAR SPEED STARTS TO SLOW DOWN but doesn't cause a massive for breakdown, do two more sets of 5 (unless its a deadlift) and THAT is your starting weight.
    All of the above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast