starting strength gym

Thread: Not Quite...

Default Not Quite...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I linked to a "Beginner Powerbuilding" variation on an LP a few months back that still focuses on a Linear Progression model but with a bit more emphasis on upper body strength/size. A few guys said screw it, give it a try... and so I did. Keep in mind I was not a total beginner when I started this. Fast-forward about 4 months and I am feeling like I am nearing the end. I am feeling beat up and definitely need to think about trying something else very soon. Here is what I did and my stats as a result:

*Max rest of 3 minutes between working sets
    Day 1:
    Bench (or Press (alternate each workout)): 4x6 (AMRAP last set)
    Squat: 3x5
    Pendlay Rows: 4x6 (AMRAP last set)
    Chins: Body-weight AMRAP for 2-3 sets
    Curls (or Close-grip Push-ups (alternate each workout)): 2 sets 8-10
    Supersetted w/
    Cable external rotations: 2 sets

Day 2:
    Press (or Bench): 4x6 (AMRAP last set)
    Deadlift: 1x5
    Lat Pulls: 4x6 (AMRAP last set)
    Kroc Rows: 1-2x20 or AMRAP
    Close-grip Push-ups (or Curls): 2 sets of 8-10
    Supersetted w/
    Face-pulls: 2 sets

Day 3:
    Bench (or Press): 4x6 (AMRAP last set)
    Squat: 3x5
    Pendlay Rows: 4x6 (AMRAP last set)
    Weighted Chins: Ladder method (Currently 6x4)
    Curls (or Close-grip Push-ups): 2 sets of 8-10
    Supersetted w/
    Band Pull-aparts: 2 sets
    6 25-yard Prowler Sprints

I am now 237-238lbs at 6'1.5" and my lifts are as follows: Press: 165 4x6 (hit 185x1 after this the other day) | Bench (16" narrow grip): 230 4x6 | Pendlay Rows: 250 4x6 | Squat: 280 3x5 | Deadlift: 370 x 5 (Pulled 440 for a single at the end of last week's session) | DB Rows w/ 105's for 13 reps | Weighted Chins w/ 40lbs on Rings for 6x3.

THE Reason I am posting is because I am no longer progressing on presses and bench, or any of my upper body lifts really... but I AM still making good progress workout to workout on my deadlifts and squats. I have not even had to reset my deads yet and I feel like I can make it to 405 x 5, and I have not even started wearing a belt yet for squats and feel like I could probably make it to 315 (or at least 300) for my 3x5 on them before I reach the end. I know jumping from the to the traditional LP would not be beneficial really at this point, and I am not quite sure where to go from here. Are there any modifications I can make where I treat my upper body lifts in a more early intermediate fashion while still keeping the LP progression for my squats and deads?

Sure; don’t change anything about squatting and DL at all and drop the reps to 5’s on the Press and bench. When that stops working go to 5 sets of triples alternated with 5 sets of 5. So you’d use the same weight each of those and then increase the next time you did triples.

Maybe also cut the volume of the other stuff, i.e. anything that isn’t one of the core four lifts.

Awesome man thanks! So you are saying drop from the current 4x6 to 3x5 on the Press and Bench and then when that stalls switch to 5x3 and the 5x5 on the same weight and then bump it up every next 5x3 workout right? That sounds like a solid plan. Let me ask you this? Would your recommendation be any different than me just doing 5x3 and then 4x6 alternated instead of 5x5? Or perhaps even alternating the 5x3 and 4x6 but progressing them SEPARATELY so the 5x3 drives up the 4x6 (Ex: bench sessions 245 5x3, 230 4x6, 245 5x3, 235 4x6, etc.)?

Sort of.

I meant:
    4x6-> 4x5-> 5x3/5x5.

You seem pretty comfy going your own way. My recommendation wouldn’t change but via con dios, mi amigo

starting strength coach development program
    Alright then. I will give it a go thanks!