starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can an 8th grader run SS?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanT View Post
    I have twin boys that just turned 16 last week. I started lifting with them when they were 13 but they really didn't make much progress...they did learn a lot about form though. At 14 years 6 months, I started them on a LP and they made good progress. It really wasn't until 15 that their progress exploded. After soccer season (they didn't lift during HS soccer this year) we ran a mini LP to get their lifts back to their pre-season levels. They were doing 3x5 with their former 1RM and still going. Honestly, it has been super fun watching them get strong.

My suggestion: let them see you struggle, fail and succeed in your lifting. Help them to understand that a miss is just a miss and it isn't a life changing event. The weight room has been a huge confidence boost for my boys. Even at 13, it was very good for them.
    Yea, they're around my age. I'll introduce him to the program and see if he wants to try it. I'm fairly confident that with the help of Rip's videos and some hands-on instruction from me (the trainers at the Y suck), we can at least get him to learn the lifts before the coach screams at him after a 250-lb. quarter squat "Look up through your skull, son! Look up! LOOK UP!"

That's good. Thank you for your story. As I said to the person who replied before you, I will run the program by him and see what he thinks.

Wow! If your son is discussing the book he might be ready! I know plenty of grown men who won't do that. 😉

starting strength coach development program
    My son ran a SSLP in 8th grade and went from a middle of the pack skater to the fastest kid on the hockey team. The following season his buddies starting squatting and re-gained some ground on him. Squatting and skating speed seem to be tightly correlated from what I have seen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12