starting strength gym

Thread: HLM, Reverse hyper extension/Leg press

Default HLM, Reverse hyper extension/Leg press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Depending on a persons goals, training, and other factors, could a reverse hyper extension/ and or a leg press machine be incorporated into an HLM template if one has access to such equipment.

Scenario 1 (In season athlete):
    A)Depending on the sport could a reverse hyper replace the light day squat if an appropriate "light" load was used to minimize stress while helping with the recovery process.

B) Could an athlete use a leg press machine at an appropriate regulated "light load" for the light day or use it for "medium" back off work after squatting on medium day to accumulate volume while minimizing stress(overhead athletes).

Scenario 2 (Hard labor jobs/ Recovery purposes):
    Could the same be applied to older trainees, people who work physically demanding jobs, rehabbing injuries, or just someone wanting to change the light day movement or add volume with the leg press or reverse hyper.

Thank you for your time sir.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

I think the answer to all of these scenarios can be answered by considering what are our most effective exercises (sq, bp, dl, press, etc) and when someone is literally UNABLE to perform them what is our next best bet. Leg presses and reverse hypers are quite some distance away from the exercises that (1) use the most muscle mass (2) through the longest effective ROM (3) and allow us to use the heaviest of loads (4) to get stronger. This is especially true for novices

Some advanced level programs use leg press as assistance work for additional volume (think hypertrophy). HOWEVER, these are ADVANCED level programs and if you read our work carefully you will already know that only competitive powerlifters and olympic weightlifters (and maybe strongmen) reach this level of programming.

If you've got an in season athlete odds are they are doing novice to intermediate programming. Keep it simple, general, and basic.

Why does the person in scenario 2 need to add more volume? Are they not progressing with 3x5? You don't get to change exercises because you "feel" like it.

So the reason I ask for S2 is because my job as a patient transporter requires me to walk 8-10 miles a day, push and pull very obese people,and I feel the effects of it especially on the light squat day. Not trying to be a special snowflake I'm just wanting to program my HLM template according to my job. I've tried a H/L split 3x a week but the amount of frequency did not work well.

From what i understand in an HLM the light day serves as a recovery day and a way to accumulate volume throughout the week. If my low back and legs are toast on the light squat day could I use a Leg press at the same weight of my light squat to help with recovery or just squat at a lighter percentage? less reps? one less set? or all three ?

So instead of 3x5 @ 20% of my heaviest set of 5, maybe 3x3 or 2x5? @ 20%

Thank you sir.

If my lower half is toast

Starting Strength Coach

Have you failed on your light day or come close to it as a result of your work?

I've come close and I've been unable to hit my previous 5RM of 275 on my heavy day the past two weeks. Honestly I think it was just a crappy transition from HLM to a H/L template plus a combo of my body adapting to the stress of work and not eating enough.

I've reset my 5RM back down to 250, took a couple days off, upped my calories, and I've had a good week of training thus far.

The reason I asked about the leg press machine is because my legs/lower back were so fried on the light day I used it with a "light load" to help with recovery and to save some stress on the lower back. I felt like if I would have attempted my "light squats" it would have affected my "medium " day workout.

Current template:
    Heavy sq 1x1-5 ,3x5
    Heavy Bench 1x1-5, 3x5
    Medium Deadlift 3x5 @65% (Body is freshest on this day, thats why SQ/BP are paired )

Light Sq 2x5 @20% of heaviest 5
    Light Press 3x5, 2x8
    Chins

Medium SQ 4x5 @ 10% of heaviest 5
    Medium Bench CGBP 4x5, 2x8
    Heavy Deadlift 1x1-5, 1x1-5
    Dips 3-5x10-15
    Pullups
    Triceps/Biceps

Starting Strength Coach

What's your age and weight and height?

6'2 200Lbs , 28 years old.

Started lifting at 140lbs years ago.

Starting Strength Coach

starting strength coach development program
    At your age and height/ weight, if you are struggling with recovery on HLM I gotta think this might be nutrition related or some other situational issue. But I guess you already said that in your OP. So if those things are now resolved I say carry on.

You have had a good week of training thus far I would keep riding it out. Your template looks fine. If you get stuck you know where to find me.