starting strength gym

Thread: Cardio Work Zones vs SS Linear Progression/HIIT

Default Cardio Work Zones vs SS Linear Progression/HIIT

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Let me premise by saying I've been strength training for 57 1/2 years and 35+ of those years were spent competing in Powerlifting. Never once in a large powerlifting circle of competitive powerlifters did we ever discuss cardio work zones. I've been teaching the Starting Strength Novice progression program since it's inception and following the HIIT conditioning protocol that Jordan F. recommends. I just started a job as a personal trainer at Anytime Fitness and all I hear about is cardio work zones, heart monitors and keeping your clients in their fat burning zones. This being far more important for heart health than getting them strong and better conditioned via HIIT which has always been my priority with all my clients in the past with amazing results. I've attached some sample workouts recommended by the Anytime F. Manger I work for. The (X) indicates super sets. Is this what it's all about now cardio work zones? I'd be curious to hear what the Starting Strength coaches feel about this. How can I get my clients Strong if I'm doing jumping jacks n toe taps super sets with my squats, benches, deadlifts, etc cuz all I'm suppose to be concerned with is keep them in their fat burning zones so that can improve their BF numbers and get heart healthy?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tell them you are training your clients for performance and looking at performance based criteria for result tracking. I tell my PT clients all the time that paying me to stand beside you while you walk on a treadmill is a waste of your money and my time. Pay me to teach you the stuff you can't do on your own which is the barbell/strength stuff. That goes for barbell training or even machine based stuff like at Anytime. Either way, clients are totally lost when it comes to strength training and that is where they NEED a coach. You can ASSIGN them cardio ON THEIR OWN TIME if they want it / need it.

The fat-burning zone stuff is largely nonsense. It basically looks at some data that points to the fact that lower HRs can preferentially be sustained using fat as fuel due to the fact that fat oxidizes slowly. What they miss is that lower intensity work (1) burns far fewer calories (2) has very little effect on post-exercise calorie burning potential (3) does not increase aerobic/anaerobic fitness as well as higher intensity work.

I'm not 100% against lower intensity cardio work in the right context. However, to make "working in the fat burning zone" the goal of the entire program is silly.

It seems like all that the aforementioned Anytime F. method is going to do is fail at getting both effective F. loss or effective strength development beyond a novice sedentary adaption. Btw do you mind if I also contract my letter F nouns by also using F. stops too? Saves time.

Speaking only from a recent personal case study experience I got tired of my Doctor complaining about my high blood pressure so I decided to add some steady state after my training sessions (or add a second training session per day if time or energy wouldn't allow). I do 30 mins exactly at 60-70% max HR. Get a sweat up get some endorphins running and get to feel like I'm doing something to prevent a heart attack. Been going 2 months now 6 days a week and it hasn't negatively effected my strength training. Though I can't say for sure if has positively effected anything either.

My point is, why not focus on dedicated strength training for half the session and then heart rate stuff for the other half? Or focus one session on each. Naturally anyone would agree with what Andy says that it's totally pointless to pay for a 'Steady State Coach' but if you go to most any commercial gym you see them getting paid to stand around shouting slogans at people on slow moving exercise bikes, so there is a demand for it. Some people - in my experience, gays or females (according to Jezebel.com female is an adjective, 'Female' as a noun is offensive) claim they need that social pressure / positive mentor aspect for compliance to a training regime. Most casual gyms I see have a dedicated 'Strength Trainer' guy, can't you be one of them? Or does Anytime F. require everyone fit a similar mould?

I don't know if you want to go picking a F. with the Manager of an Anytime F., if you are that old and working there you might be hard up for employment opportunities. You might just be a F. out of water in that kind of Training F. and as F. Dostoyevsky once wrote “You can be sincere and still be stupid.” or F. Kafka when he says "In the fight between you and the world, back the world"

Quote Originally Posted by Squat802 View Post
    Let me premise by saying I've been strength training for 57 1/2 years and 35+ of those years were spent competing in Powerlifting. Never once in a large powerlifting circle of competitive powerlifters did we ever discuss cardio work zones. I've been teaching the Starting Strength Novice progression program since it's inception and following the HIIT conditioning protocol that Jordan F. recommends. I just started a job as a personal trainer at Anytime Fitness and all I hear about is cardio work zones, heart monitors and keeping your clients in their fat burning zones. This being far more important for heart health than getting them strong and better conditioned via HIIT which has always been my priority with all my clients in the past with amazing results. I've attached some sample workouts recommended by the Anytime F. Manger I work for. The (X) indicates super sets. Is this what it's all about now cardio work zones? I'd be curious to hear what the Starting Strength coaches feel about this. How can I get my clients Strong if I'm doing jumping jacks n toe taps super sets with my squats, benches, deadlifts, etc cuz all I'm suppose to be concerned with is keep them in their fat burning zones so that can improve their BF numbers and get heart healthy?
    You, sir, are working in the wrong business model. Anytime fitness (much like Planet Fatness); doesn't really care about the clients' health so long as a contract is signed. Show up or don't....we have your money. Here are some awesome excerpts from their own job description:

"A perfect applicant will be available for flexible hours, be a team leader, have a passion for health and fitness, and most importantly, be a great representative of our brand! To be considered for this position, you must be a high-energy self-starter, have an extroverted personality, be a good motivator/coach, and enjoy sales, marketing, and building great culture in the club.

Important: If you are uncomfortable doing sales or calling complete strangers on the phone and asking them to stop in to see our club, this is not the position or industry for you." and this....

"Membership Sales —

We use a proven system that helps our guests overcome their own roadblocks to starting a fitness program. When used correctly, this system doesn't feel like sales at all. Remember, you are hired to inspire."

You were hired to inspire....not get people stronger. Rip writes about this in his book "Strong Enough" and there's a bunch of older forum threads regarding the state of the commercial fitness industry. Perhaps you can make a change in your gym...I certainly hope you can! FWIW, I am a former member of Planet Fatness (long before I found the benefits of actual strength training) and would've loved to have met a trainer like you!

Good luck!!!