starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method Stall- Need Advice

Default Texas Method Stall- Need Advice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey All,

I am a new guy here (lurking around usually) and would appreciate some advice. I am on week 9 of texas method and I am stalling on squats. Here is a bit of my background:

Height: 5 ft 9 in. Weight: 191-193 lbs Age: 33 Training: on/off 3-4 yrs mostly using 531.
    Current PRS (lbs): Squat- 300x5 DL- 365x5; Bench- 240x5; OHP: 160x5. (All performed using madcow 5x5 @ lower BW 188 lbs)

Today (intensity day) I stalled performing 300 x 5 with slightly questionable depth. I feel I would've only hit 3 or 4 solid reps if I hit depth, but not 5. Two Weeks earlier I failed on 4th rep of 295; I was utilizing a 90% 5x5 volume day load (265lbs 5x5) for that week. I was also sick earlier in the week (slight flu) and felt beat up from the volume. In response to this, I decided to repeat that week but by cutting the volume day percentage to 85% (250bs 5x5). This worked wonders as I was able to hit 295x5 on the following intensity day.

My question is, what do I do now? After reading practical program, I learned that my options are two-fold: 1) Cut down volume day (thinking of reducing volume even further by decreasing sets to 3x5 @ 85% intensity) or 2) Progress by keeping volume day the same (5x5 85%) but reducing down to triples, doubles, and singles on intensity day.

I was considering the latter. The weights feel good on my back strength wise, but I feel a bit worn out/beat up/sluggish; lately, it feels like I'm grinding my days out. Sleep is around 8 hrs/day, I am gaining 1 lbs a week, some stress but nothing too crazy, and I am working on stretching/mobility almost daily. Deadlifts are progressing weekly. Any advice?

I really appreciate your thought and time.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

I would go with 2x3 on intensity day for a while then drop to 3x2, then 5x1 eventually.

If the staleness is carrying over into the next volume day then a reduction in volume work is warranted.

You might also consider NOT doing your stretching/mobility daily. There is some evidence to suggest that this will impede recovery.

Thank you for your reply? I will put this into practice.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

lol? That was meant to be a "!" ; )