starting strength gym

Thread: In season LP

Default In season LP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Brent, I realize these matters have been discussed before, but if at all possible I would appreciate some feedback on my specifical approach. Thanks!

I am 30 years old, male, 181 cm by 89kg.
    Albeit a cyclist, I am not obsessed with weight loss, and quite keen to gain more strength. In fact I have been trying to for years with very poor results, for the reasons we are all familiar with (commercial gyms and so on). Recently I came across Starting Strength, and it has been a revelation; unfortunately though the discovery happened at the end of the off season: I managed to put in about 4 weeks of LP training by the book, but very soon I will have to start cycling specific training, lest I lose my place on the team, which I am keem not to.

The first 4 - 8 weeks will be base training, 3 - 6 hours on the road at 120 - 140 bpm (so between recovery and aerobic endurance), plus 45 min tempo and a few sprints on the track.

After that another 4 -8 weeks of race prep will see an increase in tempo and threshold work, and some intervals in addition, maybe a couple of easy preparatory races towards the end;
    after that, the season will be in full swing for a few months (road races, tt, and later cyclocross).

My thinking is to continue with three trainings a week throughout the base phase, just being conservative with jumps, and extra careful with nutrition and sleep.

As I ramp up the intensity in the second phase I would lift only twice a week, trying to keep a steady if limited progress.

With the race season I would go in maintenance mode, twice a week in the gym, one heavy set of five a week for each lift.

Then when the season is over I would program a long offseason, run out the LP, and set up some sensible form of intermediate program compatible with my main sport and my goals.

Does this sound reasonable or am I deluding myself?

Thanks again,

Davide

Just for completeness, my lifts:

Squat: 40kg » 82.5kg
    Press: 25kg » 40kg
    Bench: 40kg » 52.5kg
    Deadlift: 50kg » 100kg
    Power Clean, recently added: 42,5kg

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

I think you have clearly been paying attention. This is well thought out and should work fine. Let us know your results when you are done!

Thank you very much Brent, will do!

Just a quick follow-up if I may: I lift Mon-Wen-Fri, usually first thing in the morning; should cycling training happen later on the same day, to give myself the longest possible recovery time, or rather on rest days?

Starting Strength Coach

There is merit to both scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Davide Salomoni View Post
    Just a quick follow-up if I may: I lift Mon-Wen-Fri, usually first thing in the morning; should cycling training happen later on the same day, to give myself the longest possible recovery time, or rather on rest days?
    One possible advantage for training both on the same day is that you have pre-fatigued your muscle fibers including those pesky slow-twitch ones. Thus for the cycling, you may need less volume at low intensity to drive the energy system adaptions in terms of increase mitochondria etc. I personally keep my strength days and interval days separate.

Starting Strength Coach

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpertOrBust View Post
    One possible advantage for training both on the same day is that you have pre-fatigued your muscle fibers including those pesky slow-twitch ones. Thus for the cycling, you may need less volume at low intensity to drive the energy system adaptions in terms of increase mitochondria etc. I personally keep my strength days and interval days separate.
    You sure about that? Not saying it's wrong I'm just not up to speed on the research.