starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Program for a teen

Question Program for a teen

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, i earlier made a post with another title where i had my own program and i asked for your opinions.
    Now i am asking for a program with strength work and bodybuilding/hypertrophy work. I want exercises like pull ups, curls and tricep extensions for example, not just deadlifts and rows or just bench i would like some more exercises for that too and maybe shoulders
    I can work out maximum 4-5 times a week but i would prefer the 4 days instead of 5.
    For my lifts i am a beginner but for my age those lifts are intermediate (I think) (I am 14)

You're probably going to get the same answers. The whole "Starting Strength" thing is pretty big on this website.

Man, running a linear progression on the compound lifts as a teen has got to be the best thing in the world. It'll work better and go farther at that time than any other point in a person's life. I suppose it's hard to see it when you're in it, but looking at it from my mid 40s, all I can say is please just do the program and then bring in the rest of the stuff later. Please, please, please, just do that.

he's not going to do it.
    almost no teenager can stand to do only 4-5 exercises 3 times a week.
    (on their own in a public gym setting).
    this is a fact.

OP do IceCreamFitness 5x5

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Man, running a linear progression on the compound lifts as a teen has got to be the best thing in the world. It'll work better and go farther at that time than any other point in a person's life. I suppose it's hard to see it when you're in it, but looking at it from my mid 40s, all I can say is please just do the program and then bring in the rest of the stuff later. Please, please, please, just do that.
    So does it matter that im only 14? Because some people say that it may affect your growth when doing sets of 5 with 90-100% of 5RM.
    Personally i don't believe that it affects growth because there are many professional powerlifters and weightlifters that started 10-15 years old and they are fully grown

Quote Originally Posted by alex101 View Post
    So does it matter that im only 14? Because some people say that it may affect your growth when doing sets of 5 with 90-100% of 5RM.
    It's not going to stunt your growth. People say a lot of things about topics they're not informed on.

As to you being 14, if you're not at the stage of development where you can benefit from the Starting Strength linear progression, you're not at the stage where a "bodybuilding/hypertrophy" program would do much either. If you are at that stage where you've got the sufficient hormonal milieu, then you'll benefit from the first more than from the latter.

They sell this book.. I think it is blue with a guy squatting on the cover, I hear it's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    It's not going to stunt your growth. People say a lot of things about topics they're not informed on.

As to you being 14, if you're not at the stage of development where you can benefit from the Starting Strength linear progression, you're not at the stage where a "bodybuilding/hypertrophy" program would do much either. If you are at that stage where you've got the sufficient hormonal milieu, then you'll benefit from the first more than from the latter.
    Jesus I hope I didnt stunt juniors growth he is only 6'3" 270 having done SS on and off since age 12

Quote Originally Posted by alex101 View Post
    Hi, i earlier made a post with another title where i had my own program and i asked for your opinions.
    Now i am asking for a program with strength work and bodybuilding/hypertrophy work. I want exercises like pull ups, curls and tricep extensions for example, not just deadlifts and rows or just bench i would like some more exercises for that too and maybe shoulders
    I can work out maximum 4-5 times a week but i would prefer the 4 days instead of 5.
    For my lifts i am a beginner but for my age those lifts are intermediate (I think) (I am 14)
    Please just do Starting Strength as written. You have no idea what an advantage you are at with your age and (most likely) your hormone levels. It only took me 4 mos to fully exhaust novice linear progression doing it by the book and now I have already gone on to hypertrophy specific training (still with barbell movements as the core, that's for life).

It took me until I am 46 to find out doing 10-15 rep squats blows up your legs much, much more when you're capable of doing it with 250 lbs instead of just 90. When us older guys are telling you that you're at an advantage to strength train first and then move on to your goals, we are trying to share our knowledge with you and give you a huge advantage in life we weren't smart enough or weren't educated enough to have.

Doing Starting Strength by the book (basic barbell movements only, 3x/week) will ONLY take a few months, I promise. You can THEN kill it hypertrophy wise!

starting strength coach development program
    Oh yea and don't think your muscles won't grow on Starting Strength alone, as well. None of my jeans fit me anymore and I've had to go everywhere in sweat pants until I can afford some decent new jeans. That only happened to me before when I was doing steroids. So even doing hypertrophy specific work as a novice (and you ARE a novice) didn't get me anywhere near what even just Starting Strength has as a natural.

Oh yea and I don't know who came up with the growth stunt thing. If anything, it would promote height increase at such a young age. Your growth hormones as well as everything else are limited by genetics but influenced by exercise/training in a positive way. I'm not saying of course that you WILL get even taller, I'm just saying that possibility is what clicks with me. It's not rocket science, really.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast