starting strength gym

Thread: Rack Pulls

Default Rack Pulls

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Brent,

I've been stuck at around 465x5 on the deadlift for a little while--my weekly programming has alternated 3-5 heavy singles with a 3-5RM with 1 or 2 back off sets of 5 at a 10% offload. I thought that this might be a good time to try alternating rack pulls and halting deadlifts. What I've read on this site is that rack pulls should be done for a heavy set of 5 with something approaching a 1RM. I did my first rack pulls last night, expecting to work up to a set of 5 with something around 500, but ending up doing a set of 5 at 425 with maybe one rep left in the tank. Aside from issues of inexperience with the exercise, does this lower-than-expected work weight suggest hamstring and lower back weakness and/or a weak point in the middle or end of the deadlift range-of-motion (which should be the strongest part of the movement)? My plan, naturally, is to work up from 425 while alternating weekly with sets of 8 of haltings, but I thought I'd ask if my suppositions make sense. Thanks.

Ben

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Could be. I think it's probably more related to experience. I do think that a 1RM for sets of 5 on rack pull is a bit aggressive based on my experience but it also depends on rack height and such.