starting strength gym

Thread: Need suggestion on planning a workout for strengthening overhead press

Default Need suggestion on planning a workout for strengthening overhead press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello.
    I've injured my right shoulder in tendons around the inner supraspinatus area which makes it painful to bench.
    In spite of the pain while benching I have absolutely no pain during overhead press.
    I have previously been doing a variation of SS. My current weights are 320lbs for squats, 400lbs deadlifts and 180lbs overhead press (all for 5 reps)
    I'm looking for ideas on how to plan my next few weeks of training in order to both fix my shoulder and improve my overhead press while also improving my squats and deadlifts.
    Have previous experience with TM, SS and Madcow but never done them while completely replacing bench press with overhead press.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry about your shoulder buddy. How about you go halfway and see if you can incline bench? Or close grip? If any bench work is hurting then you can definitely press 3x week

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Sorry about your shoulder buddy. How about you go halfway and see if you can incline bench? Or close grip? If any bench work is hurting then you can definitely press 3x week
    Thanks mate! I will try my hand at close grip bench (unfortunately tried incline and it was bad for my shoulder), and if it won't work I'll switch to 3x pressing.
    Another question, if close grip bench feels well how would you recommend me to coordinate between overhead press and close grip bench until my shoulder recovers? Is close grip bench a valuable enough exercise to put effort in if my ultimate goal is to get stronger?

Just progress your close grip as you would your bench. I love close grip. It’s a great exercise. It really helped my bench and press. When your shoulder starts feeling better, you can see if regular benching feels better. I think some people round here who have bad shoulders do just close grip. *note* close grip does not imply a super narrow grip.

I blew my left shoulder out doing close grips (16" grip, 245 Lbs.) back in 2013. I've just recently been able to start benching consistently again.(ring fingers on the 32" rings)
    Many people believe that close grip benches are safer for the shoulders, but that is 100% false. Your shoulders go through more internal rotation with a close grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I blew my left shoulder out doing close grips (16" grip, 245 Lbs.) back in 2013. I've just recently been able to start benching consistently again.(ring fingers on the 32" rings)
    Many people believe that close grip benches are safer for the shoulders, but that is 100% false. Your shoulders go through more internal rotation with a close grip.
    It's the same for me. If I incur shoulder pain, it's usually close grip that agrivates it.

If you're happy just to press every session you could try ladders. Take about your 5rm and do reps of 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3. Increase weight for next session if you get all the reps and repeat. You can do this 3-4 times per week.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Sorry about your shoulder that sucks man. I’ve never had shoulder issues with close grip, so there is that. I did have some pain from regular benching during my LP and switching to close grip for a bit helped let that calm down till I could bench again. I’m pain free now.

Have you considered dips? Something I found really odd is that they have a reputation for being especially bad for shoulders yet I was always able to do them even though my rotator cuff issues were so bad I could never bench over 155 lbs, that is until I started OHP as instructed by SS.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by David McClelland View Post
    Have you considered dips? Something I found really odd is that they have a reputation for being especially bad for shoulders yet I was always able to do them even though my rotator cuff issues were so bad I could never bench over 155 lbs, that is until I started OHP as instructed by SS.
    Unfortunately dips feel even worse for me than benching. I think that the injury was aggravated the last time I did dips.