starting strength gym

Thread: Intermediate Programming: Pulling Emphasis

Default Intermediate Programming: Pulling Emphasis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach Carter,

As promised at the Atlanta seminar, here is the request for programming help. First, some stats and a statement of purpose.

Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 223 pounds
    Sex: Male
    Condition of Diet: Maintenance level. I try to eat 4 to 5 meals per day spaced apart by 3-5 hours. 5 is typically around training time.
    Training Age: 10 months, approximately 6-7 months of SSNLP (some hiccups). Recently a modified Upper Lower split.
    Intermediate Training Focus: Pulls both to develop strength in the back as well as to provide practice for setting my back.

I very much appreciated Steve Hill, you, and Reynold's collective success at improving my initial pulling position. Knowing that I can set my back with proper cues and enough effort is awesome; however, I want to keep the momentum going with this and structure my programming to allow enough practice at obtaining thoracic extension during the pull set-up. With all of the options available (RDLs, RPs, DLs, power cleans, halting DLs), I would appreciate some help with balancing progression on the lifts with enough frequency and volume to practice setting my thoracic spine in extension. I am also unsure of whether - since I can set my back from the floor albeit with difficulty - I should prioritize work from the floor or try to walk my way down using RDLs or Rack pulls or both. Below is a rough outline of what I am thinking. My tendency is to be substantially more sore and tired after volume workouts than intensity workouts. Thanks in advance!

Workout A
    Squat: 5x5
    Deadlift: 1x5
    Chins: 3 x AMRAP *Niki's method for Chins

Workout B
    Bench: 1x5
    Press: 5x5
    (?)Technique Pull(?) Maybe something like a light RDL, halting, or power clean for volume?

Workout C
    Squat: 1x5
    (?) Volume Pull Maybe 3x5 Rack Pulls or 3x5 RDLs
    Chins: 3 x AMRAP or band-assisted x 8x4 *Niki's method for chins

Workout D
    Press: 1x5
    Bench: 5x5
    CGBP: 3x8

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

I think this looks good. The answer is to yes prioritize pulling form the floor. That said due to the grip in the PC that position will likely be even harder to achieve good thoracic extension. I didn't see your powercleans so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

If you are able to pull off the floor AT ALL with extension then I would say just do that. Do so at a weight that allows you to stay in extension.

Apparently, my power cleans were respectable considering this was the first time learning them. Back extension was greatly assisted by taking a narrow stance - 4 inches heel-to-heel and pointing my toes out substantially more than normal. Reynolds said he would recommend I do PCs which implies that my thoracic extension improved greatly. Thank you very much for your input and time!