starting strength gym

Thread: Just finished very succesfull block of TM. Need HLM programming advice.

Default Just finished very succesfull block of TM. Need HLM programming advice.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I recently finished an 11 week run that put on 30lbs to each my squat and DL. Only 5 or so on bench ( nagging shoulder issue) . I was setting rep PR's for 8 weeks straight, but hit an absolute wall after my first day of 5x1 squat singles. I was so fried I couldn't do a single rep of my press or deadlift.

I want to switch to a HLM where I can still hit some PRs without them landing on the same day.

Male 44 yrs old. Recent best lifts 385 x 3 squat 415 x 3 DL 275 x 2 bench
    6' 1" 225

Was thinking

Mon

Heavy squat top set weekly rotating 5/3/1 then 4x5 backoff sets less 10 %
    Med Bench 3x5 pause or CGBP - 5% off heavy day
    Med pull 3x5 SLDL
    Chins

Weds

Light Sqaut 2x5 less 20% of Heavy day volume (likely beltless pause)
    Press 5/3/1 then 4x5
    Rows 3x5

Fri

Med Squat 3x5 less 10% of Heavy volume
    Heavy bench 5/3/1 then 4x5 less 10%
    Heavy DL top set 5/3/1 then 1 backoff set less 10%
    Chins
    3x10 LTE

I also play baseball 2x week ( centerfield) and sometimes basketball 1 night.

Any changes you'd make?

Thanks Brent!

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

This looks well thought out and planned. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for your input. I have this training block set up to ride this initial volume out as far as possible while adding weekly weight, which should yield some 1-5 rep PR's on the intensity sets from week 6 on. Will let you know how it plays out.

Impressive numbers. I finished SSLP at 3x5 squat 365, bench 265, press 175, and dL 365.

Did you jump right into Texas method after SSLP?

I’ve been doing the Bridge while cutting down body fat but recently purchased Andy Baler’s HLM program. Wondering if I should go to that or try TM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Upchurch View Post
    Impressive numbers. I finished SSLP at 3x5 squat 365, bench 265, press 175, and dL 365.

Did you jump right into Texas method after SSLP?

I’ve been doing the Bridge while cutting down body fat but recently purchased Andy Baler’s HLM program. Wondering if I should go to that or try TM.
    My LP ended with S 325 3x5 B 235 3x5 DL 350 1x5 . I had run TM in the past before learning proper form and a proper LP, so the experience was not so good. This TM came on the backside of Andy's GGW which has higher volume and made for a great transition to TM to display a great run of PR's. GGW is a great program but with much slower progression and similar volume to The Bridge. If your confident your form is good, try TM after the Bridge and you'll likely hit some PR's. Research how you select your initial weights for the most success.