starting strength gym

Thread: How to Drive Intensity at the End of LP

Default How to Drive Intensity at the End of LP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Brent,

I just finished listening to the barbell logic episode with Andy Baker on programming and I really liked it. In the podcast Andy and Matt agree that driving the intensity up at the end of LP is the right thing to do before bringing in volume and transitioning into intermediate style programming. I'm just about there in my own training as my LP is almost over (on my squat at least) and was wondering what was the best way to go about ramping up the intensity for each of the big lifts. I also just want to have fun peaking myself to see what I can do before I jump into Texas Method or some other intermediate style program. I know in Practical Programming for Strength Training they lay out techniques for the advanced novice like adding in a light day for squat and using a top set of fahve followed by two back off sets but they don't go any further than that. How would I go about taking my three sets of fahve to a 1RM on the big lifts?

If it's any help I'm a 24 year old male, about 5'10", weigh around 185lbs and consume around 3500 calories a day (220g P, 480g C, 80g F)
    My current lifts on the novice LP are as follows:

Squat 3 sets of 5 reps @ 330 lbs (incorporating a light squat on Wednesday)
    Press 3 sets of 5 reps @ 132.5 lbs
    Bench 3 sets of 5 reps @ 197.5 lbs
    Deadlift 1 set of 5 reps @345 lbs

Thanks for your help!

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Like the podcast I can give you a generalized approach but a template or details is something we do for a living so look into getting a consult if you want a specific strategy on how YOU will apply this:

A few ways to do this one way is to over time let that top set turn in to triples then doubles then singles. So basically run it out on your top set then get your volume in from back off sets of 5 at about 90% of your 5RM.