starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dips instead of bench press?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by El Rojo View Post
    Lately I've found that progressing my weighted dip on the gymnastic rings helps increase all the other pressing movements. I've made trials with many other movements and this one albeit silly is the one exercise that stuck. I think the reason is that it works the shoulders better than regular dips and the chest better than vertical presses. Funny enough last year I put 25kg on my incline 5RM while my press and my bench progressed only like 5kg.
    People usually learn the hard way about weighted ring dips. This is discussed in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by DoinFives View Post
    I think I can dip MUCH more weight than I can bench press.
    Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    People usually learn the hard way about weighted ring dips. This is discussed in the book.

Fixed that for you.
    True, i say it in the same i would say “I think people can bench press more weight than they can strict press”.

I only wanted to point out that as far as ROM and weight lifted goes, weighted dips could be equal to bench press. I only make that point because I see a lot of people assume dips are more of a light weight exercise.

Again though, dips especially weighted dips end up being bad news for a lot of people.

starting strength coach development program
    FWIW replacing bench press with weighted dips as main pushing exercise for a couple of months proved to be a mistake in my experience.
    No injuries or issues with adding weight, but chest and front delts got smaller and weaker, and bench press decreased.
    Triceps got bigger and stronger but they're less important if "the closer the muscle is to the core the more important it is" rule works.
    A shame, because I really wanted to dip instead of benching since there's no need for a spotter that way. Asking for a spotter five times a workout upsets me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12