starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temporary programing for deadlift/press.

Post Temporary programing for deadlift/press.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, I was wondering about programming for someone doing only deadlift and presses.
    I'm a big fan of squatting and I will buy a rack as soon as I got some cash saved up. I got a bar, weights, and platform.
    Because Im not squatting or benching atm I'm missing two big stressors in my workouts.
    This is how I've programmed for myself.
    (I powerclean the bar up when I do the presses and I use RPE for the mainlifts)

Day1
    Press 1@8, -17% 5x4
    Deadlift 1@8, -20% 5x5
    Curl 3x10

Day2
    Powercleans 3x3
    Pushups amrap 10 mins

Day3
    Pause press 3x4
    Deficit DL 3x4
    Curl 3x10

Day4
    Beltless press 3x4
    SLDL 3x8

I train MTTF. weekend off.
    173cm, 87kg, Male.

This is not ideal, and we don’t have any info about your training history. That said, you could add front squats at a near-maximal power clean weight around @7-8 a couple times a week. Better than not squatting at all, IMO.

Thank you for your reply. I do know its not optimal and that is why I'm asking. Any thoughts on the volume for the frontsquats? and how many times do you suggest Frontsquatting? Im thinking 2-3 depending on recovery.
    I did NLP, texas method for 12 weeks, "the bridge" 3 rounds, got some coaching, did some more LP with better form. Been training with barbells for about 2yrs.

If i were in your position, I’d front squat for 3-4 sets, 2-3 times a week. No idea on reps - that will depend on how strong your front squat is relative to your clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristofferp View Post
    Been training with barbells for about 2yrs.
    You've been training with barbells for two years and you couldn't figure out to do front squats instead of back squats if you don't have a rack?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    You've been training with barbells for two years and you couldn't figure out to do front squats instead of back squats if you don't have a rack?
    If someone is not good at power cleans, it would not surprise me that a person wouldn't intuitively figure this out.

Say even if you had decently strong legs, but because of lack of technique, explosiveness, rack mobility, etc. and therefore your power clean sucked
    . . . and you somehow eek up a 135# power clean, you might be able to front squat it for 20 reps, but your back, arms, traps are going to give out first.
    ain't gonna do shit for squatting. It will just turn into more of an upper body exercise.

------------------------------------
    Other 'no rack' Ideas:

You could set the loaded barbell on two chairs (one each side), and do a bottom-up front squat to get started.
    This way you could use a decent weight. That first rep will suck though. Have fun with that

Snatch grip deads, especially the kind where you keep your hips low, kinda sorta have a squat effect. Use straps.

Barbell Hack squats. Video your sets. Be honest about what your low back is doing.

There's lots of options.

Do a shitty muscle clean with whatever, get the bar to your back/traps. Do lunges.
    (one leg working don't need to clean near as much)

Step 1- get a credit card
    Step 2- buy a decent rack with credit card for $1,000
    Step 3- squat now, pay later (I need to trademark that)
    Step 4- pay off card over the next 12 months at $95/mo
    Step 5- report back how much your squat has improved over that time, I bet it was well worth the ~$140 in interest

Very constructive, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Very constructive, thank you.

starting strength coach development program
    My current PC is not that high, its currently lower than I estimate my 1rm press would be (unless I let myself use a ton of armpull).
    Also I did think of frontsquats but I was thinking amrap for that aswell.
    I do have some trouble keeping the bar racked on my shoulders for any set of more than 4 reps. which doesnt feel hard at all, just super awkward.
    Thank you Fulcrum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast