Bench - 265
    Press - 185
    DL - 380

1RM tests after GGW (week 13)
    Squat - 410 (7.4% increase)
    Bench - 280 (5.4% increase)
    Press - 190 (2.7% increase)
    DL - 415 (PR) (8.5% increase)

A couple of side notes... I stayed around 170 pounds for the length of the program and I ran 1-2 times a week (3 miles each run) to keep up my conditioning). I'd have probably made even better gains if I'd gained weight and reduced conditioning. But, hey, I'll take it.

What do you think? Rerun GGW or try another program?

Those are great results. Congrats. I'm no expert, but if I that much improvement I would run it again.

Those are great increases, especially at your bodyweight. If somethings working that well, no reason not to give it another go.

Thanks for the replies. I’ll plan on doing another round of GGW. Hopefully, my OHP will make significant gains this time, alone with the other lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Upchurch View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I’ll plan on doing another round of GGW. Hopefully, my OHP will make significant gains this time, alone with the other lists.
    Impressive results, Jim! I think you've got the right approach: if it works, keep going. Presses will probably continue to be tough to progress while maintaining 170, but it looks like the program is working well. Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Upchurch View Post
    Have you been running GGW with press priority? I've run it twice. Once with press priority and once with bench. Whatever lift had priority had gains while the other stayed about flat.

I don't think it's a bad idea to re-run the program if it was still working well at the end, but just remember that any program will have diminishing returns over time as you grow accustomed to the prescribed levels of work and associated stress.

Yes, I believe it is written with press priority, correct? I only benched once a week.

I plan to continue running once or twice a week, but will increase my calories to help with the gainzzz.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisza View Post
    Have you been running GGW with press priority? I've run it twice. Once with press priority and once with bench. Whatever lift had priority had gains while the other stayed about flat.
    Often an issue with HLM type programs. The Mon/Fri pressing variant progresses, the Weds pressing variant stagnates or sees only small progress. I often have lifters go in on Saturday and repeat the Wednesday pressing variant for 3-5 sets with about a 5% reduction in load from whatever you did on Weds. Seems to help. If you don't wanna hit the gym just to Press/Bench medium, throw in a 20 minute conditioning session to make it worth your time, and/or throw in some chins

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Often an issue with HLM type programs. The Mon/Fri pressing variant progresses, the Weds pressing variant stagnates or sees only small progress. I often have lifters go in on Saturday and repeat the Wednesday pressing variant for 3-5 sets with about a 5% reduction in load from whatever you did on Weds. Seems to help. If you don't wanna hit the gym just to Press/Bench medium, throw in a 20 minute conditioning session to make it worth your time, and/or throw in some chins
    I tried that approach for 3 day HLM's and for whatever reason, doing a 4th pressing movement the day after a full body session was really difficult for me. Felt really weak and joints hurt. I've recently transitioned to a 4 day split and really liking that I can give equal attention to the bench/press and have much more energy not having squatted right before. In addition, I can add in LTE's and dips with the extra time available to train. Refreshing so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast