starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for running out the deadlift

Default Advice for running out the deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello again Coach,

I was reading my shiny new copy of PPST:3, immediately flipping to the Texas Method section as I'm currently running a 4 day TM. I got to the part about running out reps, and the part that jumped out at me was that running out reps should be planned and not a result of missing reps. Whoops! I failed last week's 345x5, only getting 4 reps. As you may recall, I'm really trying to avoid getting stuck, so last night I did 345x3x2 no problem. I also intend to get my form checked out when I can get video, but it wasn't in the cards last night.

Anyways, my question is about how to run out the deadlift on intensity day. In PPST it seems to recommend going to 3x2, 2x3, 1x5 for all the lifts except the deadlift, which still stays as one heavy set at reduced reps. One triple on intensity day doesn't just strike me as quite enough volume, especially when my deadlift is still objectively pretty light. If I were pulling 450 for 3 maybe, but not 345. I searched the forums and saw different advice from different coaches. I saw one top set, I saw two triples, and I saw a top set and a back off. My instinct is that since my deadlift is still pretty light, I should be trying to match volume with multiple sets of fewer reps. I figured since you're the current sheriff in town, and your advice has served me well so far, that I'd see if you have any thoughts on the matter.

I'm also curious if you have any thoughts on deadlift volume day. The book seems to suggest power cleans, but I'm currently re-teaching myself because my technique was shit. Lots of people seem to go with SLDLs, but I have a hard enough time getting my back set for a conventional DL. I was doing RDLs for a while, but recently switched to 5x2 conventional DLs at ~80% of intensity day so I could practice pulling from the floor more often, and because I believe I saw you recommend it to someone else.

As always, I'll be eternally grateful for any help you can provide.

Thanks!

I think you're on the right track. I like top triple + back-off set at 90-95% for the intensity day, and then 2x5 @80-85% of 5RM (not 1RM) on the other day for a case like this.

As you move from triples to doubles, you can still do the top set adding five lbs per week, and then two back-off sets of two, so let's say you go:
    350x3, 330x3
    355x3, 335x3
    360x3, 340x3 - 360x3 was almost missed, so next week is
    365x2, 340x2x2 (start to let the spread increase a bit here)
    370x2, 345x2x2
    375x2, 350x2 (start to let volume come down here)
    380x1x3
    385x1, 365x1x2
    390x1, 365x1x2
    395x1, 370x1
    Go for 1RM
    This is about a 3 month run-out, and of course may not be exactly the way it goes for you. It's an example for illustrative purposes, not a prescription. You'll also probably make some adjustments to volume day as you go - going up 5 lbs per week at first, then on volume day too, doing a top set of +5 and a back off (or lead-in) set that's 5-10% off set for that, then maybe switching to only one set of five that day too, and finally the last week where you go for your 1RM, you just pull a submax triple on "volume day."

By the end of this you'll have experienced the whole gamut of rep ranges down to 1, have a reasonable idea of your actual max - not a true 1RM perhaps, but a close enough proxy for this point in your training - without having completely peaked for it and having to build up all your work capacity from scratch. That is, I think, a good objective for 3-6 months (on avg) after finishing LP and beginning Intermediate training.

Wow, this is tremendously helpful. Far more detailed than I dared hope for, and a much better plan that I would have cooked up on my own. Seeing it all laid out like this has me salivating at the prospect of pulling 405!

Thanks again!

Michael, using your example run-out what load would you expect the lifter to return to afterwards if they wanted to continue with triples? Would you expect them to be able to complete 365x3?

Yes, though individual results may vary. In my experience most people do get stronger running it out and can do reps with weights they couldn't before, when coming back to them.

Amazingly helpful to me as well. Thanks again, Mike!

Glad to help ye committed lifters!

Hey coach!

Just wanted to report back now that I've finished my run out. I know you said it wasn't a prescription, but I figured I might as well follow it as written. Stuck with it up until the last couple of weeks when I condensed it a bit for the sake of testing a 1RM before the arbitrary deadline of 2018. My initial goal was to pull 405, but I realized a few weeks ago that I could probably do better. Today I pulled a pretty speedy 405, and a much less speedy, far shakier 425 for a pair of PRs!

Looking forward to going back and hitting some rep PRs as I rotate rep ranges on intensity day. Was thinking of starting at 350x5, 365x3x2, and 380x1x5. Think this would be a reasonable place to start?

Thanks again for all your help, Wolf!

Good stuff man. Ya that seems a reasonable starting point.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Hey coach!

Just wanted to report back now that I've finished my run out. I know you said it wasn't a prescription, but I figured I might as well follow it as written. Stuck with it up until the last couple of weeks when I condensed it a bit for the sake of testing a 1RM before the arbitrary deadline of 2018. My initial goal was to pull 405, but I realized a few weeks ago that I could probably do better. Today I pulled a pretty speedy 405, and a much less speedy, far shakier 425 for a pair of PRs!

Looking forward to going back and hitting some rep PRs as I rotate rep ranges on intensity day. Was thinking of starting at 350x5, 365x3x2, and 380x1x5. Think this would be a reasonable place to start?

Thanks again for all your help, Wolf!

Michael, at this point, would you generally recommend a deload before starting the next round?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast