starting strength gym
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Box squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff LC View Post
    well, there you have it. The point of this book, this program, this board, and this community, is not to get "strong enough" to adequately perform job duties. It is to get stronger, continuously. And then get stronger after that.
    You cannot get stronger continuously and indefinitely. Especially if you have competing physical requirements in your life/profession. You are describing the sport of powerlifting, which I did not understand the participation in was a part of the SS book, program, or board.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff LC View Post
    So above, you said "they don't think it is necessary for them to do what is required at their jobs" and someone said "that is not why we squat.." you said "i didn't say that, and i don't think they would say that either"..

But, per their arguments you listed above, that is, in fact, exactly why they squat. But that's not why we squat. So, problem solved
    Why do you squat? All I've brought up was a thought about the necessity of utilizing the stretch reflex during squats in regards to athletic performance inprovements. I have found your comments to be unhelpful, focused on semantics, and attempting to end discussion. So, why do you squat?

Not that anyone necessarily cares, but I've now been doing box squats exclusively for three months. And I like them. That is all.

I don't have any desire to argue with anyone about this, but I do think these are a valid exercise choice for folks that do not complete in powerlifting/weightlifting. I can say that my rucking/running seems much less affected by box squats than regular squats.

My $0.02.

Can someone please explain to me why box squats are easier to recover from

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why box squats are easier to recover from

Thanks
    I bet a lot of people are doing them with less ROM that "at depth" squats; IOW, their box squats are high.
    I tried them once, I set up the box at "Depth". Couldn't believe how small of a box I needed.
    12" box was too low / 18" was too high.

Might be using less weight because of box, slowing down, resting on the box, then standing up.

IMO, I think the eccentric part of box squat is kind of muted to a degree, yeah you might come down a little slower and controlled knowing you are about to land on a box, but squatting down without a box, and then your body dealing with the stretch reflex is a different stress.

Everyone kind of does them a different way.

Great thread. I cant comment because I have never seen box squats performed correctly. The people I see (obviously I am not at a true strength gym) never stay tight through the bottom. Everything seems to soften up once contact is made with the box.

Unexpectedly good thread.

Side note: in my younger days I was lifting at a navy base in Florida. Had the weight room to myself. Then four guys come in wearing beige short shorts, socks, and boots. They then proceeded to put on a clinic. I had no idea at the time who they were, but they were strong as hell and all of them got under the bar like they meant it. I was a young know nothing punk but they were absolute gentlemen and respectful and polite to me. Turns out they were SEALS.

Ok, I don't get it. First of all, assuming "SOF" means what I think it means, I'd guess that properly performed low-bar back squats would be among the very least dangerous things these guys could ever do.

For another, where is it written that you can't get injured doing box squats? We know one place where it IS written that you CAN get injured doing them - Starting Strength, 3rd. edition.

Also, no matter how strong these very "strong dudes" are, they're leaving an awful lot of strength on the table by not doing regular squats. And as we know, not all strong dudes actually know what they're doing. Do they actually know how to squat correctly?

If they're really worried about pushing it with squats, I don't see why they don't just stick to 5s and maybe two 3s and never run it out to lower reps than that, so they're never worrying about pulling something going for a PR 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Treg View Post
    Ok, I don't get it. First of all, assuming "SOF" means what I think it means, I'd guess that properly performed low-bar back squats would be among the very least dangerous things these guys could ever do.

For another, where is it written that you can't get injured doing box squats? We know one place where it IS written that you CAN get injured doing them - Starting Strength, 3rd. edition.

Also, no matter how strong these very "strong dudes" are, they're leaving an awful lot of strength on the table by not doing regular squats. And as we know, not all strong dudes actually know what they're doing. Do they actually know how to squat correctly?

If they're really worried about pushing it with squats, I don't see why they don't just stick to 5s and maybe two 3s and never run it out to lower reps than that, so they're never worrying about pulling something going for a PR 1.
    Then don't do them.

I'm about 90% sold on box squats; I think you get the benefits from squatting without negatively affecting rucking/running. I get that's not an issue to lots of folks. But so far I like them.

An update (for any who care): I've been doing these exclusively for nearly 5 months now. Monday I did 355x5 at a BW of 190 and felt solid. Ran a 13:11 2 mile two weeks ago as well. I'm sold.

In regards to depth; I built a box that puts me about 1/2" below parallel.

Let me relay my personal experience with box squats.

I had been training conjugate for about 1-1/2 years. In that period of time my deadlift went from 405 - 485, my squat - from 405 -425, and the bench flatlined at 250. I'm 58, a former competitive powerlifter with a long training history. I now compete as a master just to keep training focused and interesting.

I found the box squat carryover to the squat to be minimal at best. I felt it carried over better to the deadlift for the obvious reason of elimination of the stretch reflex. The major drawback is the elimination of the timing and rhythm component of a correct squat. Not forgetting the decreased load which in my case was 15%. I also found that it produced a bit of knee pain probably due to the knee joint losing tightness at the bottom position. I now use a high bar box squat as a deadlift supplemental exercise.

starting strength coach development program
    atw_bn are you performing box squats as Paul Anderson, Gary Benford and Mark Bell (more recently) advocate for them to be performed? They all generally tend to put the box 2" below or above parrallel with a butt roll onto the bench, while rocking backwards, and then violently thrusting the hips and glutes forward to stand up. Or do you box squat how they demonstrate on the Barbell Logic podcast. Additionally to what degree are you controlling the eccentric? The only reason i ask is if your performing the squats how barbell logic described then youll have more carryover than how Westside performs the movement. Perhaps the reason your SOF peers have such high deadlifts is because theyre strictly training the concentric and putting themselves into a near deadlifting position unintentionally. I may be wrong but i believe Andy Baker has talked about how pin squats can drive up the deadlift because theyre all concentric contractions.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast