starting strength gym
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress on pressing movements

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Clearly he was using a lot of drugs (just saving perman the typing).
    well, you really have to ask "what if" if you are going to have an honest conversation about it.

drugs? maybe and probably.

if not drugs, then the other option is he is the absolute top of the food chain genetic freak.

and/or an extreme outlier who is responsive to that type of minimalistic programming.

so I would be leery of applying that to anyone, or trying to draw some kind of conclusion from it.

How many modern champions subscribe to this type of training?

I believe Larry Wheels only trains a lift heavy once per week. Probably like the aforementioned guy, he likely takes grams of tren a week, so it doesn't really apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    well, you really have to ask "what if" if you are going to have an honest conversation about it.

drugs? maybe and probably.

if not drugs, then the other option is he is the absolute top of the food chain genetic freak.

and/or an extreme outlier who is responsive to that type of minimalistic programming.

so I would be leery of applying that to anyone, or trying to draw some kind of conclusion from it.

How many modern champions subscribe to this type of training?
    When does the modern era start?

Clarence squats really heavy everyday. 5x5 I think. He's strong too. (and a genetic freak). Hmm interesting. Maybe there's more too this whole thing we are missing. Low frequency and volume seems to work, and high frequency and volume also seems to work. I wonder what else could matter...

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    Nah, I'm just too argumentative, it's a character flaw. I'll stop now.
    Naw, you're just too young, and like most young people you're far too impressed with what you think you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Devyn Stewart View Post
    I believe Larry Wheels only trains a lift heavy once per week. Probably like the aforementioned guy, he likely takes grams of tren a week, so it doesn't really apply.
    Larry Wheels is very open about his drug use.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Longnecker View Post
    Larry Wheels is very open about his drug use.
    I'm aware of this, but I don't think he released the details of his drug stack. I just mentioned that because MPS is being discussed, and drugs obviously affect that. No disrespect was meant toward Larry Wheels. I couldn't do what he does with twice the drugs.

Juggernaut Training Systems has a couple of cool videos to help ballpark frequency/volume for more advanced lifters. On one end there is a female lifter in a lower weight class, natural, but still a world class powerlifter. On the other is a tall, SHW male that is open about drug use, and he too is a very good lifter. They say that the taller, bigger, more advanced (to a point), natty, etc. a lifter is, the less frequency and volume they can tolerate. Of course there are individual differences, but you can see why as an advanced lifter, one program can't work for everyone. There are also drug tested lifters like Ray Williams that squat 1x per week. But he does do a leg exercise of one kind 3x per week (squat, leg press, etc.).

I'm experimenting with squatting 3x per week right now, since I'm coming off a big layoff for squat/DL. I'm slowly moving things up not trying to outstrip my recovery. In the past I squatted 1x per week with pretty good results (SHW, tall, masters lifter). But experimenting a little is probably a good thing. But like others have said in different threads or on BBL, just don't change every variable at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Naw, you're just too young, and like most young people you're far too impressed with what you think you know.
    And you're too old and set in your ways. At least my stances still update.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    And you're too old and set in your ways. At least my stances still update.
    You also could just be trendy.

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast