starting strength gym

Thread: Super Squats to LP?

Default Super Squats to LP?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Coach,

I hope this is the correct place I'm just looking for some advice.

Training History:
    I am currently a S&C Coach at a University.
    I started training in high school for sports and powerlifting. My senior year (2010) I ended with (530 w/wraps/425/565) for the 3 lifts at ~260-265 lbs.

In college I battled through injuries every year, but ended up getting a 430 Bench/465 F. Squat/and ~300 Clean at various times through college.
    I have had my left shoulder labrum repaired twice and wore a boot on my left foot for 4 months due to ankle problems but continuing to play through them.

I have primarily been programing for myself and trying a random program here and there when I am not too much "on the grind" of Collegiate S&C.
    I decided to start the year I needed to challenge myself more in training hence the Super Squat Program.

Information:
    -27 y/o male, 260 lbs (up from 248) 6' tall
    Current Lifts from Super Squats
    Seated Behind the Neck Press 205x10x3
    Bench: 275x12x3
    Bent Over Row: 250x15x2
    Squat:415x19x1 (failed on 20th rep) I started at 275x20 and worked up to this over 7 weeks with a few small set backs.

So on to the question, since I have never ran a true LP should I start a true NLP or should I look toward something more advanced?
    I am really enjoying forcing myself to train on another program from my own. When I program for myself I choose thing I want more than what I should need. When training on someone else's set program I stick to it and train through it.

Thank you in advance. Let me know if you need any more info.

Hey Mason,

I'm not Mark, but I think you would want to run a mini LP to get your strength back up. Once your 5s are getting hard, then I would move onto some other form of programming. But you can get your previous strength back pretty quickly using an LP.

I’d personally say what’s the harm in giving it a shot? Worst case scenario you run the NLP for a month a move on to something more advanced. Best case scenario you continue to get those easy gains for longer than you think. Also, you’ll give yourself experience with another program that you’ll likely find a use for in a trainee down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hahn View Post
    Hey Mason,

I'm not Mark, but I think you would want to run a mini LP to get your strength back up. Once your 5s are getting hard, then I would move onto some other form of programming. But you can get your previous strength back pretty quickly using an LP.
    Thats what I was thinking. 5s is going to be such a massive difference from 20s

Quote Originally Posted by Mason Mathews View Post
    Thats what I was thinking. 5s is going to be such a massive difference from 20s
    You will adapt quickly I think, especially since you used to do powerlifting. Most powerlifters train the lower rep ranges for barbell work (1-8's). Let us know how it goes. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hahn View Post
    You will adapt quickly I think, especially since you used to do powerlifting. Most powerlifters train the lower rep ranges for barbell work (1-8's). Let us know how it goes. :-)
    I haven't done powerlifting in 9 years, but I have always loved the lower rep ranges. Also I am more strength (4-7 reps) biased. Which was a major reason for trying Super Squats.

I'm sure I keep it updated. My goal is 455x20x1 so I will be back at Super Squats eventually.

The best way to get your 20RM to 455 is by getting your 5RM to 625.

starting strength coach development program
    Sounds like a plan. Thank you!