starting strength gym

Thread: Q concerning Rotating LP

Default Q concerning Rotating LP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’ve had several weeks of good progress with 8’s on all of the lifts. This past week I reached a peak on 8’s where I actually “blew them out”. True RMs. I’ve noticed that I’ve had trouble sleeping since this, and this week I only managed 6 reps for my PR and DL. Is it acceptable to drop down 2 rep increments? Or is this an indication that an intensity driven program might not be ideal for me? I was really shooting for 7’s, but it just wasn’t happening. Was considering re-setting and running Ed Coan’s program template, which is similar to the Rotating LP, but a bit more periodized. If Baker or anyone else who has experience with these type of cycles has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Additional info:

6’0

Most recent/relevant PRs:

SQ
    410x8

PR
    153x8

DL
    485x8
    Last edited by Bradley Gish; 03-24-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Since no one’s chimed in, I’ll respond, as a much weaker trainee.

You might have just waited too long to switch out to sevens. I’ve made this mistake a few times. If you can hit 410 for 8, it stands to reason that 415 for 7 is not out of reach - that’s literally a 1% increase. But you’re probably in too much of a recovery deficit to hit it right now.

The last time this happened to me, taking a couple of extra days off and resuming my training with the weights I had already programmed was enough to get me back on track, but I wasn’t doing such high numbers for such high reps, so I can’t say how much time you would need to get your recovery out of the hole.

Just my two cents. Would be great to hear someone more experienced weigh in.

Thanks for chiming in Erik. Had a conversation with coach Baker on another site and he recommended maybe pulling heavy every other week ( going all out) for the DL. As for my press,I changed it back to more of a TM approach. Don’t think that I was able to create enough stress by just touching it once a week, and my press isn’t terribly strong. I posted this prior to the sticky posted by Andy Baker. I don’t want to confuse other members with questions about this somewhat “unorthodox “ training program, but the Rotating LP is mentioned in Barbell Prescription.

Bradley - I was more talking about my paid programs. Rotating LP is pretty common way to train, but yeah, the reason I didn't respond was because we had already discussed on Facebook.