Well there it is. . Well there it is. .

starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Well there it is. .

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    172

    Default Well there it is. .

    The stupidest thing I'll read all day.
    "Throw away your wrist straps! Seriously…there is no place for them in a good workout. One of the great benefits of lifting is getting defined forearms and functional strength. I don't think you should train with any weights that you can't grip. "

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    166

    Default

    That's my primary goal....swole forearms! To hell with achieving a 600 lbs pull if I struggle with my grip. FO ARMS ALL DAY ERY DAY!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7,472

    Default

    I must be missing the context here.
    YT * IG * FB

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I must be missing the context here.
    I think the OP is lamenting a recently read fitness article which advises the reader (doing deadlifts) to limit their loads to which that they can only maintain a grip.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I must be missing the context here.
    Yeah I'm sorry. It was an article advising one to never lift heavy weight if you can't grip it without straps. Though to be fair the lift they were discussing was uh...chinups...cant say I've ever seen anyone chin with straps

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nubygaines View Post
    Yeah I'm sorry. It was an article advising one to never lift heavy weight if you can't grip it without straps. Though to be fair the lift they were discussing was uh...chinups...cant say I've ever seen anyone chin with straps
    I legit have done chins with straps before when I had an injury, it was awesome. Because the tension was off my forearms all the focus was on my lats - reminds me of that mind/muscle connection bullshit body builders talked about in the 90s.
    the downside being I felt like a retard so eventually had to stop.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7,472

    Default

    An interesting reaction to such an article.

    In the absence of carny-hands, grip strength should almost never be a limiting factor on the deadlift until a lot of training advancement has been made. Rare exceptions aside, there's otherwise no reason why a guy should need straps to pull 500. And once you pull 500, you get to start to form your own opinion about things anyway.

    So while I disagree in theory with that quote, in practice it's true 99% of the time. This of course does not address things like a more advanced lifter using straps to spare his hands/calluses for the higher volume pulling that being a more advanced lifter entails, or things like snatch grip deadlifts and such, where straps are really needed to go heavy.
    YT * IG * FB

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    La Jolla California
    Posts
    1,861

    Default

    I concur with Wolff and this author. No straps until youre at 500, by which time you will truly understand the SRA cycle and what you need to eek out progress. I used to use straps on all pulling pavements, including deadlift (before my SS awakening) and it kept me weak. Now I double overhand all deadlifts up to 365, at which point I pull mixed grip until I start doing partial and rack movememnts with overload weights in the 600s (which I rarely do). Only at 600 do I allow myself straps.

    And forearms like bowling pins ARE awesome. So ditch the straps.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    I concur with Wolff and this author. No straps until youre at 500, by which time you will truly understand the SRA cycle and what you need to eek out progress. I used to use straps on all pulling pavements, including deadlift (before my SS awakening) and it kept me weak. Now I double overhand all deadlifts up to 365, at which point I pull mixed grip until I start doing partial and rack movememnts with overload weights in the 600s (which I rarely do). Only at 600 do I allow myself straps.

    And forearms like bowling pins ARE awesome. So ditch the straps.
    Right. The main thing I'd point out for a beginner is:
    DOUBLE OVERHAND GRIP IS NOT A HILL TO DIE ON.

    I see this mistake a lot. New lifters don't realize (even though it's referenced in the book) that when your grip isn't super duper secure, the rest of your muscles won't fire as hard, either. They pick up on a vibe that they should double overhand until they can't anymore, and take it VERY literally, and get stuck because they think the weight at which their DOH grip fails must be too light and they have to push through it.

    No. Just no. You DOH as long as you can generally, not on a literal "till the bar falls out of your hands" level. Since newbies don't know when grip is becoming a limiting factor, my rule of thumb is that, however many reps you're doing (presumably five but even if not), you should be able to hold the last rep up at the top at lockout for at least 3 seconds. If you can't do that, you need to switch your grip IMMEDIATELY because your reps are already affected by the lack of grip security, and failure is closer than you think.

    For the switch to hook or mixed, some corollaries to that:

    1. If you're going to use a hook grip when it gets too heavy to double overhand, start building up to it in your warm-up sets 4-5 workouts out to save yourself a lot of pain. It'll still hurt, but tolerably so.
    2. If you're going to use a mixed grip, do it for every rep and every set the first 3-4 times, because it will feel real awkward and the extra exposures will help you acclimate early on. After that, just start doing it one set before you truly need it so you don't go into that set changing something.
    3. For Pete's sake, DO NOT DIE ON THE HILL OF DOUBLE OVERHAND GRIP. Seriously. Stop this idiocy.
    YT * IG * FB

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nubygaines View Post
    Yeah I'm sorry. It was an article advising one to never lift heavy weight if you can't grip it without straps. Though to be fair the lift they were discussing was uh...chinups...cant say I've ever seen anyone chin with straps
    Literally saw a guy chinning with straps yesterday for my first time ever, what a coincidence. He was doing it in the squat rack.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •