starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do after cutting for 3 months?

Default What to do after cutting for 3 months?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’ve been doing SS for about 8 months now. Due to some personal things, I’ve had to take some breaks from training, and thus my progressions hasn’t been what could be expected.

Weight: 87 kg / 190 lbs
    Height: 185 cm

My lifts are as following:

Squat: 100 kg / 220 lbs (have not been able to perform it without getting pain in the arms, and thus haven’t been able to progress very much at all)
    Deadlift: 147.5 kg / 325 lbs
    Bench Press: 70 kg / 155 lbs
    Press: 50 kg / 110 lbs
    Power Clean: 50 kg / 110 lbs (have not progressed for several months, as I’ve been focusing on doing the lift properly)

I’ve been gaining 1 kg pr month. Problem is, I’ve become too fat for my likening. I know I should not care about that as long as my strength increase and all that stuff, but I work out mainly to look good. So I’ve decided, even though it will ruin some of the results, to cut 6 kg off during the next 3 months.

I'm not really sure where to continue from here. SS cannot be run on a cut, so I have to find another program for that. But also, I do not know if I should go back to SS after the cut is over as I do not know if I can still keep the progression. As my first priority is size and not strength, maybe I should start on a bodybuilding / hypertrophy (push-pull-legs maybe?) program on the cut, and continue doing a program like that for the next bulk? Or would it be better to maybe still prioritize strength during the cut and for some time during the next bulk until my progression almost stops, and first then switch to a bodybuilding / hypertrophy program?
    Last edited by Mattias Damsgaard; 04-06-2019 at 08:12 AM.

What's your height, current weight, and age? Have you posted a squat form check video?

I started on several responses to this post, but deleted all of them for the sake of not being confrontational.

I'll put it to you this way; how do you think you will "get bigger" if you don't put on weight?

Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Damsgaard View Post
    but I work out mainly to look good.
    I'm not really sure where to continue from here.
    I hear you man. You probably just need to take a step back and look at what you really want to do with your training. If all you really want is to look good...why not just hop on the sauce and follow a BB split like the rest of the bro's in the gym? Their primary concern is looking good and their programs are readily available with a basic google search. This program is for people that are primarily focused on getting strong, athletes that want to get better at their sport, and skinny dudes that are tired of being skinny. Skinny looks like shit and weight gain -any sort of weight gain - looks better. It’s a deceivingly difficult program that will tax you physically & mentally. You will be uncomfortable most of the time throughout this program for many reasons. The massive amount of protein/calories you have to eat, the high dollar expense of buying so much food, the constant bloat, heartburn, having to shit, always feeling full, corn starch for your thighs, etc. Mentally you start dreading having to get under the bar and move a weight that can hurt you and/or embarrass you at the gym. Mentally you will also have to deal with some fat gain. Then there's the nagging little injuries that you have to go through while more than doubling your squat and DL numbers. Mentally you’ll have to deal with missed attempts. You have to constantly read the blue book and PPT3 to make sure your form is spot on and your programming is on point. Want to add 50lbs to your press? Then this is the place. The price tag is always being sore. There is a lot to this shit even if it is just basic math. My point is that if your primary concern is looking good why bother going through all this shit if it can be solved by banging on arms everyday? Everyone at crossfit has abs…why not just join crossfit?

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn1993 View Post
    What's your height, current weight, and age? Have you posted a squat form check video?
    I have posted multiple videos, and have worked on the form a lot. It has become better and better. I'm 26, I weigh 87 kg / 190 lbs and my height is 185 cm.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I started on several responses to this post, but deleted all of them for the sake of not being confrontational.

I'll put it to you this way; how do you think you will "get bigger" if you don't put on weight?
    I'm cool with gaining weight. My idea just was to cut some fat off, and then start gaining weight again after the cut is over.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    I hear you man. You probably just need to take a step back and look at what you really want to do with your training. If all you really want is to look good...why not just hop on the sauce and follow a BB split like the rest of the bro's in the gym? Their primary concern is looking good and their programs are readily available with a basic google search. This program is for people that are primarily focused on getting strong, athletes that want to get better at their sport, and skinny dudes that are tired of being skinny. Skinny looks like shit and weight gain -any sort of weight gain - looks better. It’s a deceivingly difficult program that will tax you physically & mentally. You will be uncomfortable most of the time throughout this program for many reasons. The massive amount of protein/calories you have to eat, the high dollar expense of buying so much food, the constant bloat, heartburn, having to shit, always feeling full, corn starch for your thighs, etc. Mentally you start dreading having to get under the bar and move a weight that can hurt you and/or embarrass you at the gym. Mentally you will also have to deal with some fat gain. Then there's the nagging little injuries that you have to go through while more than doubling your squat and DL numbers. Mentally you’ll have to deal with missed attempts. You have to constantly read the blue book and PPT3 to make sure your form is spot on and your programming is on point. Want to add 50lbs to your press? Then this is the place. The price tag is always being sore. There is a lot to this shit even if it is just basic math. My point is that if your primary concern is looking good why bother going through all this shit if it can be solved by banging on arms everyday? Everyone at crossfit has abs…why not just join crossfit?
    Because everybody recommended me starting out getting strong and then from there focus more on the BB aspect, as it would be way to gain mass.

Everybody.

So you would not agree, that it would be best starting out with SS until the linear progression almost stops and then from then switch to a BB program, at least if your goals is as mine?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Damsgaard View Post
    I'm 26, I weigh 87 kg / 190 lbs and my height is 185 cm.

Because everybody recommended me starting out getting strong and then from there focus more on the BB aspect, as it would be way to gain mass.
    I'm the same height, and I'd say you can't be that fat. You're also not very strong yet, so I'd recommend to get stronger first, then think about cutting.

starting strength coach development program
    I agree with Alexander. Even by the shitty BMI scale you just barely meet the criteria for overweight and as you get stronger you'll put on more muscle which will help improve your body composition anyway. Most bodybuilders are at the very least good at the upper body lifts which at your height, age, weight, and current lifts still have a lot of room to improve. You'll be better off running out LP (you can gain more than 2 pounds a month as a novice for a little while btw) and find a SS coach if possible to work on your squat because that's the most important lift in the program. After running out LP I'd suggest running a HLM to cut off any excess fat gain. Even as an early intermediate you'd be better off running something like the physique oriented HLM in PP and perhaps adding 1 or 2 isolation movements per training day than a straight up BB program. Don't take this the wrong way but with your numbers after 8 months on LP, unless you're taking breaks like every month, you're not doing something right so fix that first then worry about switching to BB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast