starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Programming post novice

Default Programming post novice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’ll be starting a new program in a few weeks after I milk everything I can from LP and was going to do the Texas Method. However, considering I’ve added 20-25kg and 30-40kg on the press and bench press compared to 70kg and 90kg on the squat and deadlift respectively, I feel I may benefit from more exposure to the upper body lifts.

What do you think to this training template:

Mon:
    Bench 1x5/2x3/3x2/5x1
    Press 5x5
    Chins 3xfailure

Tues:
    Squat 5x5
    Bench 3x5 or bench assistance
    Deadlift 1x5

Thurs:
    Press 1x5/2x3/3x2/5x1
    Bench 5x5
    Chins 3xfailure or 3x5 weighted

Fri:
    Squat 1x5/2x3/3x2/5x1 (2x5 back off)
    Press 3x5 or press assistance
    Power clean 5x3

(Using same principles as Texas Method, adding weight weekly)

Try it. I'd do press and bench assistance instead of 3x5's.

Why not just follow one of the Intermediate programs in PPT3? Andy lays out multiple options in detail.

Like I said, my upper body lifts havent responded to the novice program like the squat and deadlift have.

All the intermediate programs have the bench and press trained once or twice a week, like the novice program.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Stepic View Post
    Try it. I'd do press and bench assistance instead of 3x5's.
    I agree. Maybe dumbbell work for higher reps with a pause at the bottom. Flat bench one day and high incline the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Plant View Post
    Like I said, my upper body lifts havent responded to the novice program like the squat and deadlift have.

All the intermediate programs have the bench and press trained once or twice a week, like the novice program.
    How is it possible that you have missed the part about not all the lifts going intermediate at the same time?

I haven’t. All my lifts have practically stalled on workout to workout increases. So I’m therefore essentially an intermediate or very late novice.

My point is my upper body lifts have increased at about a third of the rate my squat and deadlift have. So continuing with the same press/bench frequency seems pointless if that rate of increase relative to squat and deadlift increases carries on. I mean, it’d be nice to have a press and bench to go with my squat and deadlift.

Other people may have a different experience, but mine has been that squat and deadlift gains by far exceed press and bench gains when on the novice program. Only going by my personal experience.

For what it's worth, you should expect your absolute weight increases on bench and press to be lower than deadlift and squat. You haven't provided enough evidence to support that your press and bench increases compared to squat and deadlift increases aren't in line with where they should be. Starting weight and ending weight on all of the lifts, as well as how long you've been doing NLP, would help more than rough amount increased with no other context.

Relative to your proposed program, what stands out is lack of deadlift (1x/wk + power cleans), a light squat day would probably be of value (maybe Thurs for 2 sets of 5 @ 80% Monday), and bench on Tuesday may be impacted by Monday's intensity bench. Overall volume seems pretty high, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Plant View Post
    I haven’t. All my lifts have practically stalled on workout to workout increases. So I’m therefore essentially an intermediate or very late novice.

My point is my upper body lifts have increased at about a third of the rate my squat and deadlift have. So continuing with the same press/bench frequency seems pointless if that rate of increase relative to squat and deadlift increases carries on. I mean, it’d be nice to have a press and bench to go with my squat and deadlift.

Other people may have a different experience, but mine has been that squat and deadlift gains by far exceed press and bench gains when on the novice program. Only going by my personal experience.
    Think about what you're asking us: essentially, is there a faster way to make progress on a lift than adding weight to the lift 3x/week?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Think about what you're asking us: essentially, is there a faster way to make progress on a lift than adding weight to the lift 3x/week?
    Fair point. Perhaps I’m just overreacting. All I’m suggesting is my progress on the upper body lifts has been pretty insignificant compared to the squat and deadlift.

5 months on the novice program has resulted in:
    Squat from 70kgx5x3 to 155kgx5
    Deadlift from 90kgx5 to 180kgx5
    Press 40kgx5x3 to 66.75kgx3
    Bench 62.5kgx5x3 to 101.25kg for 3s
    Body weight: 78kg to 93kg

From my view it looks like bench & press progress hasn’t been anywhere near as significant as the squat and deadlift. Or is this what is normally expected in the novice program?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast