starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press & bench stall on LP

Default Press & bench stall on LP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey, coaches. I am age 16 and male. I weigh 202 lbs at 5'11". I am on my LP with a light squat day. I started the light day 3 weeks ago. I started the LP in mid-October and have had 2 adductor injuries totaling 13 weeks of lost time. I started lifting last year in mid-October at a weight of 135, doing what Rip refers to as "silly bullshit". This October when I started lifting again after football season I started my LP at a weight of 160. For the press and bench I was using a 2.5 lb increment when I stalled at 150x3x5 and 202.5x3x5, respectively. I started using the increment 3 months ago and I have deloaded each lift twice. I eat at least 3600 calories per day minimum and no less than 200 grams of protein per day, minimum. Between work sets I rest about 7 minutes. For the press and bench I started the LP at 115 lbs and 155 lbs, respectively. I used 5 lb increments for each lift until 3 weeks into the program when I began to add a 6th rep in lew of microloading. This was dumb, but I progressed doing that until 3 months ago when I began microloading in 2.5 lb increments. I have had a full stall and deload in each lift twice. For reference, I am squatting 370x3x5 (I have a form check video out now in the technique forum, feedback is much appreciated) on the novice LP with a Wednesday light day currently along with a 207.5x5x3 power clean and a 380x1x5 deadlift. How am I supposed to program my pressing exercises until my squat and deadlift LP's die off, forcing me into full-blown Texas Method?

Thanks for any help. Hello from Wisconsin, where it will snow tomorrow.

Sincerely,
    Jack Morrison

You're making great progress Jack, most full grown adults won't do and stick to the program as well as you have, much less teenagers. Keep up the good work.

There have been many threads and discussions over the years here about this topic: your lifts don't all go intermediate at the same time. You can adjust your upper body/pressing movements to an intermediate template now, and still do your squats and deadlifts on LP. No reason why they have to go together.

It was 90 and sunny today in Austin. Enjoy that snow!

It was 92 in The Falls.

Which intermediate template do you suggest?

I'm not familiar with your situation. You'll have to read about the options and decide for yourself.

Practical Programming for Strength Training | The Aasgaard Company

I read the intermediate section in PPST and I have decided that I want to keep the power clean in the program because I play football. I plan on doing Texas Method once my squat and deadlift LP's die off. I read about the Texas Method on the sections and the forums and I can't figure out how pressing and benching alternate on the program. Are there separate weeks for benching and pressing? I read that normal pressing can be used as a light bench day on Wednesday, but how does a press week work? In summary, what is the layout for pressing exercises on Texas Method? I plan on doing TM press and bench programming until all of my lifts reach intermediate.

Also, what did Chase do during his football days?

I just read the intermediate section, and it explains how to do it. I don't understand what you don't understand.

I don't have PPST in front of me right now, but I'll test my memory out. I'd imagine you're doing the 3 day version to match your LP schedule. If I recall, you can choose to specialize in one lift over the other, performing it Monday for volume and Friday for intensity every week, or alternate week to week.

Week 1: Monday bench volume, Wednesday press, Friday bench intensity
    Week 2: Monday press volume, Wednesday bench, Friday press intensity

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Morrison View Post

Also, what did Chase do during his football days?
    He has an interview on the Barbell Logic Podcast. Listen to that.

starting strength coach development program
    Are pressing movements on TM 5 sets of 5 on volume day along with 1 set of 5 on intensity day, just the same as the squat example in PPST?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast