starting strength gym

Thread: Injured: Need Advice

Default Injured: Need Advice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all I was hoping Andy or someone from the team could advise me. I have been following along on SSLP, I have been doing it since January/February time.

My working set numbers…

Squat - 215
    Bench - 160
    Deadlift - 225
    Press - 102.5
    Row - 85

I recently starting doing rows after I failed three separate times on the deadlift at 245. I increased my intra recovery time to 3-5 minutes on my first failure and after my third failed session I did a 10% deload. Not long after, the weight on the squats was starting to get heavy, I felt that my form was not the best so I repeated the weight next session with the intention of working on form as opposed to just driving weight. I was wearing a new belt, got down in the hole 5th rep last set… weight felt so heavy, was grinding out that last rep when I heard a loud pop from my ribs on the left side. I went to the doctor and got an x-ray, the doctor so no break or abnormalities in place, pain is fairly dull but is present and does hurt a bit if pressure is applied. At this point we don’t know if its a muscle strain or tear.

I have been out going on week two now and to be honest my diet has not been good, afraid I am losing everything I gained. At this point I think I will be out for another week as I don’t feel comfortable trying to use/stabilize my core. I had recently bought Andy's’ Garage Gym Warrior program and was pretty stoked to try that before I got injured.

Were my numbers good enough to move to GGW? My plan was to take my working numbers drop them by 10% across the board and input those into a 1rm calculator and use that for GGW, now I am unsure as to how to proceed.

Thoughts recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by z4t888 View Post
    Were my numbers good enough to move to GGW? My plan was to take my working numbers drop them by 10% across the board and input those into a 1rm calculator and use that for GGW, now I am unsure as to how to proceed.

Thoughts recommendations?
    You shouldn't move on to GGW, or any other intermediate program until you've completed your LP. Based on your numbers, it's unlikely you're ready yet. That being said, GGW is a great program that I thoroughly enjoy and recommend, you're just not there yet... probably.
    Can we get more info? Age, gender, height/weight, starting workset weight?

I just went through a broken rib/muscle tear too (I didn't get it confirmed with an x-ray because the "treatment" is the same, but I had it confirmed it wasn't dislocated). I was going through another kick at the LP can, and 2 months later I'm back to where I was at the time of injury. I was still able to squat and deadlift (without my belt because any external pressure on the area caused me to see new colours), but any pressing movement was out of the question for the most part. You may be able to train through it to some extent, or at least slow down the losses. There's tons of info on the forums about training around rib issues.

If you start now on an intermediate program you'll be delaying a lot of those beginner gains. And as wsmoran pointed out, with those weights unless you're 55 years old and 120 lbs you're probably not actually through a properly run LP.

Fix your diet. Fix obvious problems with technique. Rest sufficiently between sets (long enough that you can do the set-whatever it takes).

Stop getting so anxious-relax and enjoy the rapid progress over the SSLP because when it's over progress will become slower. If you stick at it and do the programme, you will look back at this post and laugh.