starting strength gym

Thread: Novice to Intermediate

Default Novice to Intermediate

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ive just transitioned from the novice program to the split routine or “four day Texas method” and am now in the second week.

The split looks like this:
    Monday:
    Press/Bench 5x5
    Pin Press (eyebrow level)/close grip bench 1x5/3x5
    Chins 3xfailure

Tuesday:
    Squat 5x5
    Power Clean 5x3

Thursday:
    Press/Bench 1x5
    Bench/press 3x5
    Chins 3xfailure

Friday:
    Squat 1x5
    Deadlift 1x5

How does this look?
    I’m actually considering switching to the 3 day Texas method as I feel like I’m detraining already after only a week in.

Thoughts??

It looks fairly reasonable though some info is left out, such as the progression plan, and the off-sets of volume and intensity and such, which are important at this stage.

On Mondays, do you pin press on volume bench week and close grip bench on volume press week?

I’m just following the program as it’s detailed in the book. No I pin press on press day and close grip on bench day.

I’ve decided to lay off the rest of the week as it’s not working for me. I should have gone on to the 3 day Texas method instead. That will mean I’ve done one and a half weeks of the four day split after the LP finished. How should I get back on track?

If your already wiped out 2 weeks in, I would guess you started way too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Plant View Post
    I’m just following the program as it’s detailed in the book. No I pin press on press day and close grip on bench day.

I’ve decided to lay off the rest of the week as it’s not working for me. I should have gone on to the 3 day Texas method instead. That will mean I’ve done one and a half weeks of the four day split after the LP finished. How should I get back on track?
    You said "It's not working for me" - but we can't get you back on track without knowing where you struggled? Missing reps across the board? On volume day? Intensity day? The problem is likely in the details of the numbers not in the 3 day vs 4 day split.

starting strength coach development program
    The movement pattern of the squat has just gone having dropped a day.