starting strength gym

Thread: Programming the Press

Default Programming the Press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Trying to tweak my Press programming to drive it up. Was wondering if I could get another set of eyes on this. Press template for someone who doesn’t bench( pec tear).

Mon
    3x5( 5% less than Wed back off sets)

Wed
    1x3/4x5

Fri
    Incline Press
    2x8( backoff 5% for 2nd set)
    LTE 3x8

Age? Weight? Workset weight on the press? Training history? Please provide this info as we have no way of giving a viable answer without this. Any other useful info you may have as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoran View Post
    Age? Weight? Workset weight on the press? Training history? Please provide this info as we have no way of giving a viable answer without this. Any other useful info you may have as well.
    6’0

All time best PR 202.5. Current work sets are low 160’sx5s. Doing my light day press on Monday because that’s my squat day, and would like to train my heavy press for the week while fresh. Currently progressing the Sq and DL by training them just once a week. Tried this for a while with the press as well, but it started to grow stale. So this is kinda sorta like a HLM template, or, light/heavy/assistance. However you want to look at it. Planning to use a rotating LP for the incline Press on fri. Going to start with a single set of 8 reps plus one back off, then I’m just going to run out the reps. Fri is also my DL day, so I don’t want be spending a lot of time doing a shit ton of volume for the Incline. Same thing with the top set on my heavy press day. I’m going to keep ramping the intensity up until that triple becomes a double, then eventually a top single.
    Last edited by Bradley Gish; 04-24-2019 at 08:20 PM.

After a few weeks, I’m pretty sure that the extra volume from the light press/ incline isn’t helping me, and may actually be detrimental. Going back to getting my Press intensity/volume/assistance all in the same day.

Ever tried 5x5 volume on Monday, and 3x3 intensity on Friday? Increase volume one week and intensity the next, in 2.5# incrs.

Seems to be providing slow but steady progress for me. Just broke past an earlier 5RM with a 3x3 RM.

starting strength coach development program
    Although I’ve used volume/ intensity schemes programming the press, I have not tried this approach. I’ll keep it in mind.