starting strength gym

Thread: NLP for an Experienced Novice

Default NLP for an Experienced Novice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been strength training pretty seriously for about 2 years now following a conjugate style program, but I've never done the NLP. I have an excellent opportunity to do so upon return from a week and a half trip I'm taking. I plan to follow the SSLP as written albeit for substituting chin ups and BB rows for power cleans as I am not nearly gifted enough an athlete to clean with weights that translate to assisting my deadlift.

Height: 5' 8"
    BW: 215
    Squat: 505
    Bench: 345
    Press: 210
    Deadlift: 570

My question is this: how would you recommend an experienced lifter approaches the NLP in terms of weights on the bar for a starting point (percentage, rpe, bar speed)?

To be clear, we don't do power cleans because they directly help our deadlifts. In that same vein, I'm not sold that bent over rows will help any either.

RPE is of no concern.

You could find your starting weight just like you would on day 1. It's laid out in the book. Or, just pick a weight you know you can do for 3x5 and start there. If you're just doing this to get back into training or to work on form, erring on too light would be my general recommendation. Take that for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    To be clear, we don't do power cleans because they directly help our deadlifts. In that same vein, I'm not sold that bent over rows will help any either.

RPE is of no concern.

You could find your starting weight just like you would on day 1. It's laid out in the book. Or, just pick a weight you know you can do for 3x5 and start there. If you're just doing this to get back into training or to work on form, erring on too light would be my general recommendation. Take that for what it's worth.
    I’d say it’s worth quite a bit; not a damn thing wrong in any of this.

the way cleans or rows do help is by giving a break from DLs every session, allowing more recovery between the heavy pulls in advanced novice or latter programming.